Yes, I know the weather is getting cooler. Warm, comfy breakfasts should be the order of the day. But for now I’m enjoying the autumn bounty in its freshest form, like in this Beetroot Ginger Detox Smoothie ! I can always follow-up with a cozy porridge, right? 🙂
With beetroot as a base, most commonly known juice/ smoothie combination is with apples and carrot. Better known as ABC juice. While that is certainly a wonderful detox elixir , I wanted to add ginger to my recipe as well. Its high in gingerol, a substance with powerful anti inflammatory and antioxidant properties. According to our Ayurvedic system, ginger is wonderful for treating chronic indigestion and for strengthening immunity. This is because it’s a warming spice that breaks down toxic accumulation and also helps drain the lymphatic system.
Since I was out of carrots, I simply threw a bunch of frozen strawberries along with an apple. Blended it all with freshly squeezed orange juice. As a result, my smoothie got a big boost of vitamin C , along with fiber, phytochemicals ( that protect against cancer), many minerals like calcium , potassium and phosphorous.
This is one powerful detox concoction that tastes just as wonderful as it looks. The earthy taste of beetroot is perfectly balanced with sweet tangy strawberries, oranges and apples, in addition to the sharp zingy flavour from ginger. So there you go – fabulous cleansing action that tastes really delicious!
- If the ginger taste is too strong for you, you can add some organic honey or jaggery.
- No strawberries ( fresh or frozen) available? Simply leave them out. Put a carrot or two, if you wish.
- I like to use cooked beetroot since its easier for my digestion. Feel free to keep it raw if you prefer.
- You can read more about the benefits of ginger here .
- For more smoothie ideas do check out my Green Smoothie, Fig & Date Smoothie, Strawberry Orange Spinach Smoothie ,Chocolate Smoothies.
- Please drink this smoothie immediately because it will lose its nutritional value the longer it sits.
I’d love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below and share a picture of your creation on INSTAGRAM using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods.