Welcome to the world of satiny creamy dairy-free Basil Avocado Pesto! So rich and smooth, its my new go-to condiment!
Pesto purists, please feel free to call it to dip, sauce, spread, whatever you like, but you will not be able to put the spoon down once you’ve tasted it! That I can promise! This Basil Avocado Pesto delivers on all fronts – taste, texture and flavour. I mean how wrong can one go with basil, avocado and garlic..made zippy with lots fresh lemon juice and nutty with pine nuts?
This pesto is a lightened up version of the original as it has no cheese or excessive quantity of olive oil. All the creaminess comes from avocado and all the good fats too! The recipe as simple as putting all the ingredients in your food processor and whizzing it all up. You can leave the texture a bit chunky or make it as smooth as you like. If the pesto seems a bit too clunky, add a tablespoon or two of water to get to the desired consistency.
This pesto is a great substitute for mayonnaise, as their texture is so similar. Its, of course a wonderful pasta sauce or can be used as a dipping sauce. It’s a healthy yet decadent pesto that’s good to taste and good for you.
If you try this recipe, do let me know. I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes!
Basil Avocado Pesto
- 1 Avocado
- 1.5 cup, tightly packed Basil leaves
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp Pinenuts
- 2-3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tsp Lemon juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1-2 tbsp Water, if needed
- Add basil, garlic, pinenuts, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and flesh of the avocado in your food processor. Process till smooth.
- Taste and adjust for seasoning. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water if the pesto is too thick for you. Transfer to an air tight container and store in the refrigerator.