Delicious soft baked gooey cookies with juicy berries and chocolate chips. Yes, that's what these oatmeal Blueberry Chocolate Chip Cookies are all about!
A dear friend gifted me a whole bunch of fresh blueberries last week. Since I love baking with fruits especially berries of all kinds, some of these were stashed away in my freezer for my baked goodies. After tossing out the pies and crumble ideas, I went for cookies. These oatmeal Blueberry Chocolate Chip Cookies! It was a good decision, I have to say! I ended up making THREE batches back to back, they were such a hit!
The recipe is pretty straightforward. There is no creaming of butter sugar, refrigerating batter..nothing. You just dump everything as you go in a bowl. The trickiest part is making dough balls. The batter is on the drier side so you need to get your hands in there. Yes, get your hands dirty!!
Once these little dough balls get in the oven, they almost split open with the blueberries bursting with the oven heat. Not to worry, they don't fall apart! They just look very rustic and charming. Typically, you would bake them for 10-12 minutes and they'll be very soft. I also tried a batch with an extra 4-5 minutes..that gave me a sturdier cookie with a bit of crunch on the outside but still with a moist interior. You can try which ever consistency you prefer.
I kept the recipe for these blueberry chocolate chip cookies vegan. But you can, by all means add butter instead of coconut oil and an egg instead of coconut milk. The cookies are not coconutty at all. They are moist, chewy with all the oats, gooey with the chocolate and little bursts of juicy berries that just make everyone so happy!
If you try this recipe, do let me know. I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes!
Blueberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup Wholewheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 cup Coconut oil OR softened butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Dairy free chocolate or Dark chocolate (70%) chips
- 1/3 cup Blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat your oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or silpat.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Stir in the oats.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut oil and brown sugar. Stir in the coconut milk and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips and blueberries. The batter will be a bit dry.
- Make even sized balls with your hands and place them an inch apart on the baking tray.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes for very soft cookies, 12-15 minutes for a slightly firmer cookie. Transfer to a cooling rack after allowing them to sit on the tray for a few minutes. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply