We are keeping a very quiet house these days as the teen has just started with her board exams. There are jitters and jangled nerves strewn all over and we are treading rather carefully around them! The one thing that relaxes her is the food. She smiles and we all heave a sigh of relief!! That was the happy note on which we started our Sunday, thanks to my Chocolate Banana Buckwheat Pancakes.
If you are regular here, you already know, how much I love buckwheat in my baking. This humble, gluten-free “kuttu ka atta” is now available all year round and is gaining popularity ( rightfully so) as a health food due to its high amounts of minerals and various antioxidants.
While it does have a strong assertive taste, we don’t mind it all especially when combined with cocoa powder, banana, and pure vanilla extract – I make my own. It’s a really simple DIY project with minimal effort and yields excellent quality.
Back to these stress-relieving pancakes..they are light, soft, fluffy and yes, chocolatey. Dates complement the chocolate taste very well. They add just a tad amount of sweetness to counter the bitterness from cocoa and make the pancakes moist. The fun part is making the batter. Simply throw all the ingredients in your blender and whiz until smooth. That’s it! You can preheat your pan on the stove while you’re making the batter…that’s a time-saving kitchen hack for you. Top them with fresh fruits, honey or maple syrup. I loved mine with almond butter ( from Jimmysgourmetkitchen) , it tasted so luxurious!
Note: I made a double batch and refrigerated the leftovers which reheated perfectly well the next day.
Here’s the handy dandy recipe for you. I hope you make some and share your pictures as well. I’d love to see your creations!
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
Chocolate Banana Buckwheat Pancakes
- 2 cups Buckwheat flour
- 1 Banana
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda levelled
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Light coconut milk
- 5-6 Dates soaked in 2-3 Tbsp warm water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- Add ALL the ingredients in your blender and whiz until thick and smooth. You are looking for a soft dropping consistency.
- In the meanwhile, Heat a heavy bottomed pan to about medium hot. Grease the pan well and ladle in about 1/4 cup of batter.
- Flip when bubbles appear in the middle and the underside is browned, be careful not to burn.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes more on the other side.
- Repeat till you've used up all the batter.
- Stack up the pancakes, top with maple syrup or honey, some fresh fruits. Serve warm and enjoy!!