Chocolate cakes are hands down, our favorite kind of cakes. And I'm always on the lookout for recipes for the same. The fudgier, the chocolatier, the better.
This one is all of that and is incredibly easy to make too. Presenting the luscious Chocolate Olive Oil Cake, ladies and gentlemen!
This recipe is adapted from one of the most brilliant bloggers Deb Perelman. I have been following her blog for ages and you can be assured of A-grade results with any recipe of hers. Very much like this recipe for Chocolate Olive Oil Cake.
How To Make Chocolate Cake with Olive Oil
The recipe is perfect for bakers who wish to steer clear of dairy because it is without eggs or milk. Deb used all-purpose flour, but I made a simple substitution and added buckwheat instead.
So, begin by combining buckwheat flour, jaggery powder, baking powder, cocoa powder, and sea salt. Now, add in olive oil, vinegar, and coffee all at once and then mix.
I know to a lot of readers olive-oil sounds alarmingly health-conscious alternative. Believe me, for this recipe the ingredient is solely for flavor. Any dietary benefits olive oil brings to the table are just an added bonus.
My Adaptation of the Original Recipe
Since the recipe is healthy, I made a couple of alterations and switched out sugar for jaggery powder. A simple replacement and we have a gluten-free and refined sugar-free cake that tastes absolutely nothing like it is any of that!
The cake was as fabulous as I’d expected. Deep earthy chocolate with a subtle taste of olive oil perked up with a dash of robust coffee. As a finish, sprinkle some sea salt to round up all these flavors.
A Few Tips on Baking Chocolate Olive Oil Cake
The chocolate glaze and a small handful of nuts are completely optional, but recommended!
If you are wondering which olive oil to choose, pick one that has sharp and peppery zest. Though I simply used the oil, I already love, and it worked out remarkably great!
You can, of course, make the cake just as Deb intended it to be. It’s a legitimately good one with a satisfying richness and depth. It’s a one-bowl recipe with simple ingredients and takes no time to bring it all together.
In the end, you are rewarded with a warm chocolate cake that you won’t be able to stop munching on. Mine disappeared so fast I couldn’t even finish taking pictures!
If you try this Chocolate Olive Oil Cake, do let me know. I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes!
Chocolate Olive Oil Cake
- 1.5 cups Buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 1 cup Jaggery Powder
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1.5 cups Black Coffee
- 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 tbsp Chopped hazelnuts Optional
- Chocolate glaze for topping Optional
- 1/4 cup Dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup Cream or Coconut cream
- Preheat your oven to 180C. Grease an 8" cake tin well.
- Combine the buckwheat flour, baking soda, jaggery powder, cocoa powder and sea salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk in olive oil, coffee and vinegar. Whisk till smooth and lump free.
- Pour into your prepared pan, sprinkle the chopped hazelnuts on top and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean with just a few moist crumbs attached. Cool the cake in the pan for 5-10 minutes before turning it out on cooling rack to cool completely.
- Top with the chocolate glaze if you like. Enjoy!
- Gently heat the chocolate chips and cream together in a small saucepan till the chocolate chips are almost melted. Take off the heat and whisk well to combine. Cool a bit before pouring over the cake.