Good old fashioned, made from scratch custard gets a makeover in this fun and festive recipe! This creamy sublime Eggless Saffron Custard is a breeze to make. It's perfect for a quick weeknight dessert or for effortless entertaining!
Custard with fruits and jelly was a standard dessert we grew up eating. Packaged custard powder made it so easy that very early on I figured I didn't need to ask my parents to make it for me. Adding crushed biscuits, Bournvita, chocolate bits, fruits, jelly, cake...the combinations were endless! And we loved them all!
As I got more involved with baking, I learned how to make custard from scratch. Egg yolks, cream, milk..all have to be cooked carefully, so as to not scramble the eggs or burn the cream. A little bit stress-inducing!
Eventually, that technique was mastered, and the custard was always silky smooth and gorgeous. But I missed that easy custard I used to make..and so this fabulous Eggless Custard came into my life and now I can whip it up in no time at all for the forever dessert hungry kids.
WHY MAKE CUSTARD FROM SCRATCH
The packaged custard powder is really nothing but corn starch mixed with artificial flavoring agents and sugar. So why not just make it from scratch and control the amount of sugar and use only good quality real flavors instead? The method for both is really no different, but the results are!
How To Make Homemade Custard
This is a ridiculously easy method! All you do is whisk the milk, saffron, and cornstarch in a pan. Heat it on low heat till it comes to a gentle simmer, and thickens considerably. You take it off the heat, stir in the sugar. And that's it! Serve at room temperature or chilled. I prefer the colder version. The warmer sauce goes beautifully with pies and cakes.
- I used saffron-flavored protein powder in this recipe along with saffron to amp up the protein here. You can absolutely leave it out if you wish.
- You can add any flavoring of your choice here, apart from saffron ..vanilla, cardamom, lavender, lemon, coffee or chocolate.
- This recipe uses coconut milk. But you can use any milk of your choice.
- I like my custard very thick and creamy, you can add more milk if you prefer a thinner consistency.
- To get a really lovely vibrant yellow, add in 1/2 tsp of turmeric. I promise you won't taste it at all!
Just layer this Eggless Saffron Custard with some fruits in a pretty cup and its a lovely addition to your festive dessert table. It's a wonderful no-fuss weeknight dessert as well that everyone will absolutely love!
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
Eggless Saffron Custard
- 500 ml Coconut milk
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Saffron strands
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder Optional. Use it if you want a vibrant yellow colour.
- 3 tbsp Saffron flavoured protein powder Optional
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Fruits of your choice to serve
- Slivered almonds and whipped coconut cream for topping You can use any whipped cream of your choice or leave it out altogether.
- In a medium-sized heavy-bottomed pan, whisk the coconut milk, cornstarch, turmeric ( if using ) and the protein powder well.
- Add in the saffron strands. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer over low heat, stirring continuously.
- The sauce will gradually start to thicken. Once it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Switch the heat off and stir in the sugar. Mix well to ensure it's dissolved completely.
- Pour the custard ina bowl and cover its surface with a plastic wrap or a cotton kitchen napkin. This will ensure no skin forms on the surface of the custard as it cools.
- Chill the custard in the refrigerator. Serve in little glass cups or bowls layered with fruits. Sprinkle some almonds and a spoon of whipped coconut cream on top. Enjoy!