The cool weather is here to stay and our smoothies have been bid a rather reluctant adieu. We are now on to warm, cozy, nourishing breakfasts. Creamy porridge, eggs on toast, oatmeal, poha, and pancakes. Yes pancakes, like these Gluten-free Gingerbread Pancakes on weekdays, before kids leave for school and it doesn’t take more time than making a toast if you’ve done a 5-minute prep the night before!
These Gluten-free Gingerbread Pancakes are wholesome thanks to buckwheat and bajra flours (pearl millet). Bajra is a long-acting source of energy that keeps you full for a longer time. It’s also an excellent source of essential amino acids that are comparatively easily digestible than wheat grains. It’s also rich in insoluble fiber that aids digestive health. Both of these flours are not only nutrient-rich but used well, they taste better and more complex than their refined counterparts.
These pancakes are lightly sweetened with maple syrup or honey and coconut oil keeps them moist, soft and fluffy. Cinnamon, ginger powder and nutmeg in the batter are bold, warming spices that add oodles of flavor. Serve with some fresh seasonal fruit and you can have a wonderful delicious healthy breakfast any day of the week…super fast!!!
- You can mix all the dry ingredients in an airtight jar the night before. So all you have to do is whisk in the wet ingredients in the morning and you have your pancake batter ready in 5!
- Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature.
- Make sure your pan is hot, but not searingly so.
- Don’t flip the pancakes till you see bubbles in the center.
- Keep an eye on the pancakes when they are cooking. These have a tendency to burn fast.
- These cakes reheat very well in the microwave.
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
- 1 cup Pearl millet flour/ Bajra
- 1 cup Buckwheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp Ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Maple syrup/honey
- 1/4 cup Coconut oil
- 300 ml Light coconut milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk the wet ingredients - Maple syrup/honey, coconut oil, vanilla extract and coconut milk in another bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well until no lumps remain. The batter should be thick, with soft dropping consistency.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan to about medium hot. Grease the pan well and ladle in about 1/4 cup of batter.
- Flip when bubbles appear in the middle and the underside is browned, be careful not to burn.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes more on the other side.
- Repeat till you've used up all the batter.
- Stack up the pancakes, top with maple syrup or honey, some fresh fruits. Serve warm and enjoy!!