It has been a while… Life, with exams and work, takes over sometimes. But now that the kids have safely moved on to the next year, without any major academic mishap, I’m relaxed and happy to be back here.
So I have today a lovely little treat for you – Glazed Orange Poppyseed Cake. Perfect for a light dessert, for your afternoon tea or just some easy munching.
I love food gifts and it seems that all my friends have been made aware of the fact. One of them surprised me with a bag of candied oranges and a bottle of orange blossom water..just in time for my weekend baking!!
Okay, for the uninitiated like me, orange blossom water, at the first whiff is strong, but pleasant. It smelled like a familiar perfume…like an eau de cologne from my childhood. I didn’t want an overpowering taste in my cake, so I went with one teaspoon. It was enough to make the cake lightly fragrant with no aftertaste at all. I’m not sure, but I think one teaspoon of orange zest would work in its place, or maybe even rose-water if you like it.
I’m aware that poppyseeds are not easily found in our supermarkets. But then these days, pretty much everything is available online. They add a beautiful nuttiness and crunch to the cake apart from being a rich source of calcium, magnesium, and fiber. That said, I would use black sesame instead, in a blink, as I love their texture and flavor too.
This is a wonderful, delicious, moist cake that’s a breeze to make. And yes, it’s a really light and airy one despite being made with whole-wheat flour. The orange glaze with the candied oranges just adds to the fresh citrusy zing…yummmmm!
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
Orange Poppyseed Cake
- 1.5 cups Wholewheat flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp Poppy seeds
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup Vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1.5 tsp Orange Blossom Water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Milk I used coconut milk
- 1/4 cup Fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp Candied orange/ Orange zest
- Preheat your oven to 180C. Grease 5-6 mini loaf pans or one 8" cake tin.
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder. Gently stir in the poppyseeds.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar very well until almost triple in volume.
- Slowly drizzle oil into the egg mixture. Whisk in the orange blossom water and vanilla extract.
- Now add the flour to the egg mixture in thirds, alternating with the milk. Add another tablespoon or so of the milk if your mixture is too thick. It should be a soft dropping consistency.
- Divide the batter equally amongst the mini loaf pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Turn out the cakes on a cooling rack. Once completely cooled, spoon the glaze over each one, top with chopped candied oranges or orange zest. Enjoy!
- Combine the orange juice and icing sugar well. It should have a thick pouring consistency.