This Glutenfree Chocolate Beetroot Cake is wonderfully moist and fudgy, deeply chocolatey and superbly simple to make. It has the stamp of approval from all the chocolate lovers in my home!
For your next chocolate fix, I highly reccomend this easy, sublime cake. With healthy twists, you can enjoy a guilt free indulgence that takes no effort to make!
It's a gluten-free recipe using buckwheat flour, sweetened with honey and dates and has the goodness of beets. While beets add moisture and a hint of that gorgeous red colour, dates make it subtly sweet and sticky...in a good way! Next time I'll probably leave out the honey and use only dates.
I grated the beetroots thickly, so this cake does have strands of beetroot making an appearance here and there, like in a carrot cake, adding to the texture. If you don't fancy that, you could thinly grate the beets or maybe cook them first and puree them before adding them to the batter.
The cake rises beautifully, with a crackly top, and tastes gloriously rich and decadent.
This beauty got prettied up a bit with some chocolate glaze, chopped pistachios, hazelnuts, and pumpkin seeds. A dusting of cocoa powder completed the look. Though this is absolutely optional... it does make the cake look rather fetching!
Find the detailed recipe below. I hope that you give this lovely Glutenfree Chocolate Beetroot Cake a go!
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also follow me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
Recipe for this Glutenfree Chocolate Beetroot Cake adapted from Green Kitchen Stories
Chocolate Beetroot Cake, Gluten Free
- 170 gms Buckwheat Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 25 gms Cocoa Powder
- 125 ml Coconut Oil
- 50 gms Dark Chocolate i used 70%
- 100 ml Honey
- 50 gms Dates pitted and chopped
- 3 Eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 120 gms Beetroot grated
- 15 gms Cocoa Powder
- 50 ml Honey
- 10 ml Coconut Oil melted
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease a 7″ round cake pan. Dust it with some cocoa powder. You could use plain flour as well.
- In a small bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder together.
- Combine coconut oil, honey, chopped dates and dark chocolate in a large saucepan. Warm the mixture over very gentle heat and stir till the chocolate melts. Add the grated beetroot. Mix well.
- Let the mixture cool a bit and then beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in the dry ingredients. It will be a thick batter. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Turn out on a cake rack to cool. serve as is or glazed.
- For (optional) glaze - Mix all three ingredients in a small bowl till thick and glossy. Taste and adjust for sweetness. Pour over the cooled cake. Sprinkle some nuts, seeds and cocoa powder.