All you donut lovers, yes all of you, I have for you these delicious melt in your mouth Lemon Poppy seed Baked Donuts! A perfect little treat for your elevenses!
Donuts are one of those treats I can almost never ever say no to. You truly can happily wipe out a box of warm freshly made ones! Not the healthiest habit, I know. But bake them, they still taste awesome with not even half the sugar and fats compared to the traditional donuts. I still wouldn’t eat a boxful, but a soft, moist cake-like Lemon Poppyseed Baked Donut hits all the right spots without the guilt.
These little fellas are easy to whip up and are great for get-togethers, snacking and school tiffins. While they are mildly sweet on their own, the zesty lemon glaze adds just the right amount of sweetness and zing. Poppyseeds are my love, I just adore the crunchy texture they provide. Don’t have poppy seeds, simply add chia seeds or black sesame seeds. The different flavor profile, but they’ll give a great texture too.
I used whole-wheat flour here. If you’d like a gluten-free version, you can easily use buckwheat flour as I did with BAKED CINNAMON DONUTS and BAKED CHOCOLATE DONUTS. Either way, you’ll get light fluffy treats.
What we usually eat are fried donuts made with yeast. These do not taste like those at all. You can compare them to cupcakes though. So if you don’t have a donut pan, simply make this recipe in a muffin tray!
So tell me would you like to try this lemon poppy seed baked donuts or are you completely loyal to the traditional ones?
If you try this lemon poppy seed baked donuts recipe, do let me know. I’d love to hear from you! Please do tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes!
Lemon Poppyseed Baked Donuts
- 1.5 cup Wholewheat flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1.5 tbsp Poppyseeds
- 1/2 cup, scant sugar
- lemon zest from 2 lemons
- 1/3 cup Coconut oil
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt, plain
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Juice from 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 180C. Grease the cavities of a donut tray well. You can use this recipe to make muffins as well. In that case line the muffin tray with paper liners.
- Mix the dry ingredients together - flour,sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, poppyseeds and lemon zest, in a bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the oil, yogurt, egg, lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Pour over the dry ingredients and fold in gently until just moistened.
- Spoon in the batter into the cups. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until just golden on top. Let cool in the pan for a few minutes before turning them out on a cooling rack.
- Whisk icing sugar and 2 tsp of lemon juice well to form a smooth thick icing. Drizzle over the cooled donuts. Let it set and enjoy!