These mini baked chocolate donuts became an instant family favorite! Since these donuts are baked, not fried, they are much easier to make. Plus, they stay tender and soft for longer. Adorable, delicious and super addictive - perfect for any dessert table, whether you are entertaining or just seeking a little sweet treat.
Cute as a button, these are such a pleasure to make. Of course really fun to eat too. So fun in fact, that I piled them up to make my birthday cake!
This is a very basic chocolate cupcake recipe of mine which I've turned gluten-free with the help of my trusted buckwheat flour (like I did for my BAKED CINNAMON DONUTS).
You can definitely use all-purpose or whole-wheat flour if you wish. Both work well. These donuts are also dairyfree.
But fear not, they are still very moist and fluffy with a lovely chocolate flavour...nothing cloyingly sweet, despite the chocolate coating.
If you don't have a donut pan mold, simply use this recipe to make regular cupcakes ( you'll get 6) or mini cupcakes ( you'll get about 18).
Frost them anyway you like or not. As donuts or cupcakes, believe me, this recipe is a keeper. I know, since I've been using this for donkey's years...for all my children's birthday parties, after school treats and quick dessert for us. Since now we are very partial to bite sized treats, and have all grown up a bit ( hopefully!) this recipe has been updated, evolved and that's what I'm sharing with you here.
Okay now the down side - These babies are so light and tiny, you will have a hard time keeping a count of how many you've popped in your mouth! But then they ARE baked chocolate donuts, so I guess that's alright? 😉
I hope these Mini Chocolate Donuts become as much a favourite of your family as they are for ours. I’d love to hear about how these turned out for you.
Do leave a comment below and share a picture on INSTAGRAM using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods !
Mini Baked Chocolate Donuts
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup boiling hot water
- 3/4 cup Buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup oil I prefer coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Dairy free chocolate or Dark chocolate (70%) melted
- Preheat your oven to 180C. Grease the cavities of your 12 cup mini donut pan well.
- In a small bowl, combine the cocoa powder and boiling hot water very well. Keep aside till it cools to room temperature.
- In another bowl, combine all the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk the sugar with the egg. Pour in the oil and vanilla extract. Fold in the flour mixture until just combined. Then add in the cocoa mixture. Mix well gently.
- Spoon in the batter, filling upto two thirds of each cavity. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted towards the center, comes out with moist crumbs attached. Do not overbake, these WILL dry out really fast.
- Carefully turn them out and repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Let cool completely and then dip in melted chocolate. Let set for a few moments, and enjoy!
- These store very well in an airtight container in the refrigerator.