Any fan of ice cream would easily fall in love with this easy Vegan Mint Ice Cream with Chocolate Chunks! It's super simple to make, dreamy & luscious.
My children's favorite ice cream is Mint Chocolate Chip. So it's a no brainer, why this has become our house ice cream! I make it at home often to wean them off that sickly green colored something you get in the malls... So far it's working!
This dairy-free, vegan treat is as dreamily luscious as it can get. The mint flavor will leave you just gobsmacked. Its amazing what a punch a small handful of mint leaves can deliver. I added a few basil leaves in this recipe, just on a whim. Together they gave the ice cream a really fresh and aromatic character. The dark chocolate chunks are a perfect foil to the sweet creaminess of the dessert. I used dairy-free vegan organic chocolate from Earth Loaf. Please substitute with any dark chocolate you wish to.
I was lucky to get a whole bunch of beautiful vanilla beans all the way from Kochi, thanks to dear friend. See the black flecks of vanilla dotting the ice cream? They make me feel like doing a happy dance!
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
Mint Ice Cream w/ Chocolate Chunks, Vegan
- 250 ml Coconut Cream
- 400 ml Coconut Milk
- 120 gms Sugar
- 10 gms Fresh Mint
- 10-12 leaves Fresh Basil optional
- 1 Vanilla Bean split in half lengthways
- 40 gms Dark Chocolate Chunks
Chocolate Sauce/ Ganache
- 50 gms Dark Chocolate
- 100 gms Coconut Cream
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine coconut cream, milk, vanilla bean and sugar. Stir over very low heat until the sugar dissolves. Take it off the heat.
- Tear up the mint and basil ( if using) leaves roughly and add to the cream mixture. Let it steep for 20-30 minutes.
- Strain it in a big bowl. Press down hard on the leaves to make sure you get every last bit of those essential oils. Discard the herbs. Vanilla bean can be washed, dried and used to make vanilla sugar or vanilla extract.
- If using ice-cream maker – Chill the mixture and freeze in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Add some chocolate chunks right at the last-minute of churning.
- By hand – Pour the mixture in a large bowl and freeze it without the chocolate chunks for 1 to 2 hours. Take it out of the freezer and beat vigorously with a whisk/ electric beater or simply blitz it in your blender. Pour it back in the bowl and freeze again. Repeat this process 2 more times. Every time you whisk or blend this, you are breaking down the ice particles and making the mixture smoother. The last time you blend it, add the chocolate chunks. Pour this in an airtight container and freeze for 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
- For the sauce, just heat the two ingredients in a small saucepan over very low heat. Keep stirring till the chocolate melts. Take it of the heat and mix well to get a thick glossy sauce.
Leave a Reply