Some foods take me right back to my childhood, like today’s star – Phalsa/ Falsa, also known as Grewia asiatica.
We used to pick up this small red-purple berry-like fruit from the street vendors, eat it with black salt/Kala namak. Oh of the simple days and simple treats!! In its honor, I have today, Phalsa/ Falsa Sharbat. The quintessential summer cooler!
As soon as the season starts, my hunt for phalsa begins! Unfortunately, I don’t find it very easily in Gurgaon. Also, this berry has a very short shelf life, as I discovered the hard way when a whole batch of my loot spoilt within 2 days! So if you do get your hands on it, please know, it should be consumed really fast.
Phalsa has a wonderful astringent, sweet, sour taste that somehow reminds me of Jamun ( Java plums). They have a small seed which can be eaten…I like to, I like the crunch! 🙂
Now as great as they taste, they are also very beneficial. This is a very cooling fruit. It can be used for treating dehydration. Its full of antioxidants, is digestive and can alleviate acidity, helps in regulating blood pressure and is anti-inflammatory.
So go ahead make a batch and enjoy this beautiful cooling Phalsa/ Falsa Sharbat. We have much to celebrate with our gorgeous local and seasonal produce that make this heat so much more bearable for us!
Hope you all love it as much as we do.
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
Phalsa/ Falsa ( Grewia asiatica) Sharbet
- 500 gms Phalsa
- 150 gms Sugar
- 1-2 tsp Black salt/ Kala namak
- 1 liter Water
- Soak the cleaned phalsa in water for 30 minutes. Drain and rinse very well. Mix in the sugar and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Now add half the quantity of water, the macerated berries, salt to a blender and blend till pureed.
- Strain through a sieve, adding more water as required, to get every last bit of the pulp. Taste and adjust for sweetness. Store in a clean bottle.
- You may like to drink this straight up or dilute it with some plain water or coconut water. Enjoy!