How many of you love poha? Paired with a hot cup of tea, poha is easily one of my favourite comfort meal! For the longest time, I've eaten it only in its savoury form. But the last couple of years have seen me eat a sweeter version too, especially in summers. It is truly a light, very refreshing and healthy breakfast/snack. And this winter ( well since last week :)) I'm addicted to this instant Saffron Chia - Poha ( or flattened rice) Pudding with the easiest ever Gooseberry Compote!
I have been making this breakfast for a while, as an overnight soaked version. A few days back my friend Swati from The Food Saga, pointed out that this can be and really should be made as an instant version. So now thanks to her, I've been feasting on this no sweat, super easy and wholesome probiotic breakfast without the 8-12 hour soak! Yippee for awesome friends!! 🙂
Poha or flattened rice is a form of raw rice is very popular across India. It's used for making a variety of light snacks and meals. Cooked the right way, it's one of the healthiest Indian cereals. Rich in iron, carbohydrates, and easily digestible, you can add any vegetable, ( and fruit too) to make it a nutrient-rich meal. Add eggs, soy nuggets, sprouts, tofu, paneer to make it a high protein fare. One really does not need to depend on the boxed varieties of any instant foods when a fresh, home-cooked, nourishing meal can be made available in the same amount of time!
Saffron, in this recipe, imparts a beautiful, subtle flavour and aroma that just enhances the creaminess of the pudding, makes it feel so luxurious while boosting the health quotient. Total win-win!! (Read more about saffron benefits here)
- You can use any seasonal fruit for making the compote. Recipe for some more quick compotes and jams can be found here, here and here. There is a lovely cherry compote on my Instagram too!
- Do get the brown or red rice poha as they are far superior in quality than the regular ones.
I hope this easy and delicious Saffron Chia- Poha ( flattened rice) Pudding w/ Gooseberry Compote finds its way to your table. Treat yourself and your family to a healthy wonderful start to the day!!
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
Saffron Chia- Poha ( flattened rice) Pudding & Gooseberry Compote
Chia Poha Pudding
- 1 cup Yogurt, plain You may need more.
- 2 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- 5-6 strands Saffron
- 2 Tbsp Poha/ Flattened rice Washed and drained
Quick Gooseberry Compote
- 1 cup Gooseberry
- 3-4 tbsp Water
- 1 tbsp Honey/sugar/ maple syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp Saffron soaked milk Use any milk of your choice.
- Strawberries, Cocoa nibs, Hemp seeds Use any fruits/nuts/seeds of your choice.
Chia Poha Pudding:
- Combine the yogurt, saffron, chia seeds and poha in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes till you make the compote.
- Cook the gooseberries with water on medium heat in a thick bottomed pan for about 5-7 minutes, till the fruit softens and starts releasing its juices. Add more water if the mixture starts sticking to the bottom.
- Stir in sweetener of your choice. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat. Taste and adjust for sweetness. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Now stir the pudding well. Add more yogurt to make the consistency thinner if you like. Stir in a tablespoon or so of the compote. Top with the saffron soaked milk and fruits, nuts, seeds of your choice. Enjoy!!