Strawberry & Cream Swiss Roll..this is a showstopper of a cake! Simple to make, ( yes, just 6 ingredients!), elegant to look at and absolutely delicious in taste. The freshness of strawberries and cream combined with a feather-light sponge is just so dreamy!
I have used here the freshest of the season’s strawberries with a billowy soft, lightly sweetened cream. It’s such a classic combination. Thanks to a wonderful collaboration with MOTHERDAIRY, I used their lovely 25% low-fat cream. Despite its low-fat content, it whipped up beautifully and was utterly delightful in this Swiss Roll recipe. None of the artificial carton stuff for us, please!
Swiss Rolls look deceptively difficult to make, but really, they are incredibly easy to whip up. There are a couple of easily manageable techniques to follow here. Once you try this basic cake, I promise, you’ll be inspired to making lots more these!
Feel free to mix and match any fruits of your choice. You could even add maybe a lovely fresh jam. Cover the cake with a rich glossy chocolate ganache or simply dust with icing sugar. This is the kind of cake that screams good ol’ comfort baking. Its perfect for a teatime treat or as a luscious dessert. You just can’t go wrong with it.
Do tune in for my #InstaCookingClass with Mother Dairy on Instagram . This Strawberry & Cream Swiss Roll is the first recipe in the series. Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do! A big thank you to the absolutely gracious and wonderful team at MOTHERDAIRY for this tremendous opportunity.
- Please make sure the eggs are at room temperature.
- To get the cream to whip up nicely, please chill the cream, the beaters, and the bowl thoroughly.
- Keep a pan of hot water handy. Your bowl for beating eggs and sugar should fit the top of the pan without touching the water at all.
- When folding the flour in the egg and sugar mixture, do take your time to do so, very very gently.
Strawberry & Cream Swiss Roll
- 125 gms Flour
- 125 gms Powdered sugar Plus more for sprinkling on the baking papers.
- 3 eggs
- 250 ml MOTHERDAIRY cream Thoroughly chilled
- 5-6 Tbsp icing sugar Plus more for dusting on top of the cake.
- 15-20 Strawberries, chopped You can add more if you like
- Pre heat the oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Sprinkle some powdered sugar on it evenly.
- Heat some water in a saucepan. Take it off the heat as soon as the water comes to a boil.
- Combine eggs and powdered sugar in a large bowl. Place it on the pan with hot water. Make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water.
- Beat the eggs and sugar, till thick and pale. The mixture should leave a trail when you lift the beaters. This should take about 8-10 minutes.
- Take the bowl off the hot water pan. Fold in the flour very very gently, taking care that the eggs don't get deflated.
- Gently pour the cake mixture onto the prepared tray and spread the batter evenly.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the sponge is light golden and firm to touch.
- Keep a damp kitchen towel on the counter and a piece of aluminium foil or baking paper, bigger in size than the cake on top of it. Lightly sprinkle some powdered sugar on it.
- Once you take the cake out of the oven, wait for 2-3 minutes and gently turn it over on the prepared foil or baking paper. Peel the paper off the sponge base.
- Roll the sponge, starting from the short end along with the prepared foil or baking paper. Cover with the damp tea towel and let the cake cool.
- Pour the chilled cream into the chilled bowl. Mix in the icing sugar and beat the mixture for 8-10 minutes with your electric beater until soft peaks form.
- Once the cake has cooled, unroll it. Discard the foil/ baking paper. Spread the whipped cream evenly, leaving about 1/2" along the border. Scatter the strawberries on top and roll the cake up tightly. Dust the cake with icing sugar and serve immediately or refrigerate till ready to serve. Enjoy!