HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
I’m attempting to kick off the new year with a detox plan for a couple of weeks. After all that indulgent festive food in December, I can hear my body crying for some light, easy to digest, fresh foods! And I can’t think of an easier way to start, than with a smoothie…a Strawberry Orange Spinach Smoothie!
With the abundance of gorgeous fruits and vegetables in the market, my refrigerator and freezer both, are overflowing with fresh produce.
One quick look in the freezer this morning, found me staring at some small boxes of frozen strawberries, pineapple, blanched spinach..and so a couple of oranges were quickly squeezed for some juice, some frozen peas were thrown in just for a lark!
I wanted my smoothie to look pretty and had the time this morning, so I layered it.. if you’re short on time or if you just don’t wish to get into the layering bit, simply blend all of these together, you’ll still get a delicious, healthy smoothie ( maybe not as pretty..but that’s okay) And believe me, there is no faster recipe to get all that goodness from vitamins, minerals, and protein inside you and start your day on a high note!
Who said healthy eating can’t be fun and yummy?!!
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
- If you want to make layers, please make sure your smoothies ( both pink and green) are quite thick. Frozen fruits and vegetables really help in keeping a thick consistency.
- Keeping some chopped frozen fruits and vegetables in the freezer is a great timesaver!
- If you prefer a thinner smoothie, simply add more liquid.
- You can add any liquid of your choice – milk (dairy or non-dairy), yogurt, coconut water.
- You can add any sweetener of your choice. I did not feel the need to add any sweetener at all.
Strawberry Orange Spinach Smoothie
- 12-15 Strawberries Diced and frozen
- 1/2 cup Pineapple Diced and frozen
- 1 cup Orange Juice, freshly squeezed You may need more
- 1/2 cup Spinach, lightly blanched You can use raw
- 1/4 cup Frozen Green Peas
- Blend together the spinach and green peas with half cup of orange juice. Keep aside.
- Rinse the blender and blend strawberries and pineapple with the balance orange juice.
- Pour a layer of green smoothie in a glass, top it carefully with the strawberry pineapple smoothie. Top with pomegranates, cocoa nibs, or any of your favourite toppings. Enjoy!
- If you want to make layers, both the smoothies should be of a thick consistency. You can certainly add more liquid of your choice to make it a thinner consistency if you prefer and simply blend all the fruits and vegetables together. Taste and adjust for sweetness. I didn't add any sweetener as the fruits were sweet enough.