Long before I tasted the big fluffy American pancakes, I was eating crepes, thin, lacy and so delicate. My mom used to make stacks for me, serve them simply with honey and almonds. Now I make them too, except I’ve got an Easy Vegan Crepes recipe with a bunch of different toppings!
Classic crepes will always have a special place in my heart, but since my children literally inhale their pancakes, I wanted to do a healthier version for them. Well for us too. Thus, these easy vegan crepes.
They are definitely lighter, even with the different fillings. I’ve used oats and sorghum flour( jowar atta) here and kept it dairy-free. Instead of regular milk, I use light coconut milk, sometimes my homemade ALMOND MILK or even soy milk, since I digest dairy-free milk better.
I was so sceptical about making these without eggs, but they work out just fine. No brittle or mushy crepes. Maybe it’s also because I make them small. And they do stay soft so long as they aren’t overcooked. I’ve read that flaxmeal in the batter also binds the crepes well. I’m yet to try that. But if you do, please do let me know.
These vegan crepes were absolutely wonderful with different fillings. We loved the combination of chocolate almond butter & cherries , crunchy peanut butter & banana and plain unsweetened Greek yogurt & mango. They make for a perfectly filling and deeply satisfying breakfast that keeps you going for a few hours without any sluggishness. Oh and these would be smashing with savoury fillings too! Just omit the sugar and fill them with vegetables, meats, cheese of your choice. What a lovely light lunch that would be!
- These crepes cook well on medium to high heat. Low heat makes them hard and dry.
- Do grease the pans well.
- If you’re serving later, keep the crepes stacked up and covered. This will keep them soft.
- You can make these crepes GLUTENFREE by using glutenfree oats.
- This recipe has been adapted from NADIASHEALTHYKITCHEN.
I hope you’ll enjoy these scrumptious easy vegan crepes too. I’d love to hear from you. Please do rate and comment below! You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM , PINTEREST and FACEBOOK for more fabulous recipes!
Easy Vegan Crepes
- 1/2 cup Oats flour Simply grind oats in your coffee grinder
- 1/2 cup Sorghum flour / Jowar atta
- 1 cup Light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp Caster/ Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and lumpfree. The batter should have a pourable consistency, but not watery.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Grease the pan well. Drop a small ladleful of batter on the pan. Immediately tip it all directions to spread the batter thinly and evenly.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on one side. Carefully flip it over and cook for just about a minute or two until cooked through.
- Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve with honey or fillings of your choice. Serve warm and enjoy!