Does the world need another pesto recipe?
Maybe not, but I’ll take my chances! 🙂 So I got for you this Walnut Rocket Pesto ! Its a little away from the classic basil one thanks to the edgy, sharp, peppery taste that will awaken your senses for sure!
Apart from my regular coriander mint chutney, I really like to keep a jar of pesto in my refrigerator. Like the chutney, its such a versatile condiment to keep on hand. It gives a tremendous flavour boost to anything you add it to – soups, salads, marinades, sandwiches. Serves as an instant pasta sauce. So wonderful to serve atop toasted baguette slices as an easy appetizer.
Since there is quite a lot of beautiful, fresh Rocket in the market now, I’m nearly ALWAYS buying way more than what we need. As a result, there is rocket in pretty much everything we make. Even dals. Finger lickin’ good, if I may say so myself! This time though, I may have overdone it, even by standards and thus, I had a sad-looking bunch in the refrigerator waiting for some lovin’.
Not the one to waste, in it went with the walnuts, garlic and lemon juice for a whiz in the blender and out came a delicious, creamy, VEGAN pesto with a bite and a kick like no other pesto that I have ever tasted. I was a bit worried that this taste would appeal to only the adults of the family, but the little man happily devoured it with pasta for dinner AND asked for a pesto -cheese sandwich for school lunch. Kaachhiiinnnggg!!!!
- You can mix in basil leaves or any other herb to tone down the sharp taste of rocket if you’d like.
- I left out cheese in this recipe since we all prefer the dairy free version. We always add-on top if we want. Also it freezes better that way.
- To prevent your pesto from darkening, simply pour over a couple teaspoons of olive oil, making sure the entire surface is covered. Store in an airtight jar.
I hope you enjoy this as much as we did. I’d love to hear about how it turned out for you. Do leave a comment below and share a picture on INSTAGRAM using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods !
Walnut Rocket Pesto
- 150 gms Rocket leaves
- 1/2 cup Walnuts
- 1/4 cup Extra virgin Olive oil
- 5-6 cloves garlic
- 1-2 tsp Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper, coarsely ground Optional
- Place all the ingredients except black pepper in your blender or food processor and pulse several times until you get a smooth mixture. You may need to scrape down the sides of the blender with a rubber spatula.
- Taste and adjust for salt. Stir in some coarsely ground pepper if you'd like. Store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator. I like to pour over a couple teaspoons of olive oil to prevent the pesto from darkening.