This is the BEST warm Black Rice Salad with Broccoli and Pumpkin. This healthy and simple salad features a zesty Orange Ginger Dressing, packed with flavour.
What is Black Rice + Health Benefits
Black rice, also known as Forbidden Rice in ancient China, is a nutrient-dense grain. It has a deep black or purple colour due to very high concentration of antioxidant anthocyanin - the highest in fact, amongst all known foods. Phytonutrients found in this rice help fight inflammation and also act as a liver cleanser. It's also loaded with fiber and minerals. Along with all the nutritional benefits, I really enjoy its nutty, unique taste.
How to Make Black Rice Salad
This salad is as simple as roasting some veggies on a sheet, whisking the dressing together and tossing it all with cooked black rice!
Roasting vegetables is my favourite way of cooking them, especially in winters. Why not let your oven do all the work and warm up your kitchen while doing it?
While the vegetables roast, you can get on with prepping the other ingredients and the zingy zappy salad dressing in the meanwhile.
Once the veggies are out, gently mix all the ingredients with the rice, douse liberally with the vinaigrette and eat!
Why You'll Love This Warm Rice Salad
The sweetness of roasted pumpkin, crispy broccoli, nutty rice, juicy pomegranates, tangy dressing and those incredible marinated onions, really make this festive salad tick. It's a great make-ahead recipe for easy entertaining. The flavours get time to mingle, and get deeper and richer. It can be then served cold or at room temperature. Bon appetit!
- The exceptionally easy recipe for marinated onions is from my dear friend Teri No Crumb's Left blog. They add so much magic to this recipe and to all other recipes I have used them in. We loved them so much that we were happily eating them straight off the bowl! I would strongly recommend you use them here. You'll be addicted in no time, I promise!
- I like to roast broccoli - florets and stems both. The stalks are so full of healthy nutrients, it would be a pity to throw them away. Just lightly peel off the tough exterior, if you need to, slice it thinly and roast with the florets.
Half the joy of cooking is sharing it with others, which is why I’m always eager to hear from you. So go right ahead and drop a comment or reach out on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook. I hope you love the warm black rice salad as much as I do!
More Healthy and Easy Salad Recipes
Black Rice Broccoli Pumpkin Salad
- 1.5 cups Cooked black rice
- 3/4 cup Pumpkin Cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 small Broccoli Cut into bite sized pieces. Use the stalks/ stems as well
- 1/3 cup Pomegranates
- 1/4 cup Marinated onions Please see the NOTES for the recipe link
- 1.5 tbsp Extra virgin Olive oil
- 1 tsp Chili flakes
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Orange Ginger Salad Dressing
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1 orange
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 tsp Maple syrup/ Honey
- 1/2 tsp Finely grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp Chilli flakes
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp Pomegranates
- 1 Tbsp Cilantro/ parsley
- 2 Tbsp Walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or foil.
- Toss the broccoli florets, stems and pumpkin in olive oil, chilli flakes, salt & pepper. Spread out on the prepared baking tray and roast for 20 minutes, or until just done.
- Combine all the ingredients - orange juice, lemon juice, grated ginger, olive oil, maple syrup, salt & pepper in a small screw-top jar. Close the lid and shake till the dressing is nicely emulsified. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients - roasted vegetables, black rice and pomegranates. GENTLY stir in the required amount of dressing. Taste and adjust for seasoning and dressing.
- Just before serving, top with the marinated onions, some more pomegranates, walnuts, parsley or cilantro - whatever you're using. Drizzle over a teaspoon or two of the oil from the marinated onions.