Finally we are done with exams for the soon teen to be. Now is the struggle to keep the young man meaningfully occupied. So we got busy in the kitchen and whipped up this deliciously moist and nutty Wholewheat Banana Oat Bread! Not only did we have a fabulous time together, but gosh, how amazing did my house smell!!
I know, I say it ever so often, but Banana breads are truly one of the simplest and the most basic recipes to have on hand. What I love about this bread is that it's so moist, thanks to the (almost) overripe bananas. The more ripe they are, the sweeter they get. Which means, you can get away with far less sugar than you'd normally put in your cake.
Adding dates also enhances the sweetness, and who doesn't love their sticky, chewy caramel flavour! Chocolate chips are a given in my house, but if you do choose to leave them out, you absolutely can. If you do use them, please use the darkest variety available - at least 70%. That way you get more of the rich complex chocolate flavour that's so much more appealing.
Rolled oats gave an interesting texture and a slightly nutty flavour to this banana bread apart from giving it a nutritional bump. Think of all the fiber that's in here! Now, since rolled oats absorb more liquid, they tend to make the baked goodies a tad dry. You can easily avoid that by making sure you are not overbaking this bread. I really like the rustic look they give as they hold their shape while baking!
- Glazing the Banana Oats Bread with melted chocolate is completely optional.
- I used mini bundt pans. However, you can bake it in a regular loaf pan as well.
- Rolled oats and dairyfree vegan chocolates are now easily available in supermarkets and online.
- If you'd like to use quick oats,please adjust the quantity of liquid ( milk) accordingly. You may need to add less than 1/2 cup.
As all good things must be shared, here's the recipe for this scrumptious Wholewheat Banana Oat Bread.
I’d love to hear from you. Please do rate and comment below! You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM , PINTEREST and FACEBOOK for more fabulous recipes!
Wholewheat Banana Oat Bread
- 1.5 cups Wholewheat flour
- 1/2 cup Oats I used rolled oats
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 4 small Bananas, ripe
- 1/3 cup Coconut oil You can use any oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Light coconut milk, slightly warmed You can use any milk
- 1 egg
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Dairy free chocolate or Dark chocolate (70%) chips
- 10 Dates, chopped
- 1/4 cup Walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup Dairy free chocolate or Dark chocolate (70%) melted
- Preheat your oven to 180C. Grease 5-6 mini bundt pans or 1 8" *4" rectangular pan very well.
- Combine all the dry ingredients - wholewheat flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder and salt in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mash the bananas. Add the oil, sugar, egg, milk and the vanilla extract. Whisk together.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and fold gently until everything is mixed well. Now stir in the the walnuts, chocolate chips and dates.
- This will be a thickish batter, not the soft dropping consistency. Divide equally amongst the greased mini pans or into the rectangular pan.
- Bake for 25- 30 minutes or until golden on top and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Don't over bake.
- Let the cakes sit in the pan for about 15 minutes, before taking them out on a cooling rack. Enjoy warm or at room temperature! Let cool completely, then pour over the melted chocolate, if using.
Leave a Reply