Long workdays, one sick kid, one teenager dealing with school’s final exams, general domestic challenges…I just have one way to deal with all this mayhem. I bake. As the smell of a freshly baked cake pervades the house, all seems well with the world. We all relax, gather around the table, waiting impatiently for the cake to be turned out of the pan. All at once, there are smiling faces, funny stories, laughter and we all escape to this happy place…everyday simple pleasures!
Wholewheat Banana Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cake that’s quite a mouthful, right? Yes, it is. A chunky, hearty cake with enough peanut butter to make sure it sticks to the roof of your mouth! So not your “light as air” cake for sure. The abundance of dark chocolate chips scattered all over, make sure every bite is gooey and very gratifying.
Do use ripe bananas for your baking. The spottier the bananas, the sweeter and more flavourful they get apart from making the cakes super moist.
I made these cakes twice last week. Once with a combination of whole wheat and amaranth flours and the next time with just whole-wheat flour. The recipe given below is the latter version, though both were really delicious and we couldn’t pick which one we liked better. By all means, do try the half & half version. I’d love to hear all about your experiments with alternate flours.
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
Wholewheat Banana Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cake
- 230 gms Wholewheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 90 gms brown sugar
- 100 ml oil
- 3 small Bananas Mashed
- 80 -100 gms Dark chocolate chips I used 70%
- 75 gms peanut butter Melt in the microwave for 30 seconds
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease and flour 6 mini pans or one 9" inch pan.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- In another large bowl, beat 3 eggs and brown sugar very well.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract, oil and the mashed bananas.
- Gently stir in in the dry ingredients. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour a small ladleful of the batter in each mini pan. Drop in a heaped teaspoon of melted peanut butter. Pour the remaining batter in each of the pans. Carefully place another heaped teaspoon of melted of peanut butter on top. Gently swirl it in with a skewer.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool for a few minutes before turning them out on a cooling rack.
- Enjoy warm with a cup of coffee!