These wholewheat Strawberry Orange Scones are my new favourite tea time treat. So easy to put together and absolutely delicious!
I have a soft spot for scones...tender, buttery with crispy edges. And these ones are suffused with orange zest and mounds of strawberries. I added poppy seeds for the crunch and some visual interest.
It's completely optional though or you could add chia seeds or maybe even flax. What I really recommend is the light orange glaze...just enough to enhance the citrusy flavor.
Making them wholewheat
While wholewheat flour does have a bad rep for making the baked goodies dense and coarse, I find that in most recipes, it does work very well. It certainly didn't interfere with the texture here. In fact, it made the scones really wholesome and sort of rustic. Almonds add that boost of nutrition, a fabulous nutty flavor and also make them moist and soft.
Making them dairy-free
So I went the dairy-free way with coconut cream and coconut oil. But, by all means, do use instead of butter and regular cream.
I made a light and lovely barely sweetened whipped strawberry coconut cream to serve on the side...completely dairy-free and so delicious, you can eat it straight up!
- The trick to making soft and tender scones is not to overwork the dough. Minimal handling gives great results. Add the liquid ingredients as soon as the butter has been incorporated in the dry ingredients. They should be mixed in very gently. Please don't overmix.
- Coconut oil ( or butter) should be well chilled.
- If using coconut cream, make sure it's well chilled and don't shake the can. Use only the solidified cream, leaving out the liquid accumulated at the bottom of the can.
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
Wholewheat Strawberry Orange Scones
- 1 1/2 cups Wholewheat flour
- 1/2 cup Almond meal
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp Raw sugar or regular sugar
- 2 Tbsp Poppy seeds optional
- Orange zest of a full orange
- 1/2 cup Coconut cream, chilled or regular cream
- 1/3 cup Coconut oil or butter Chilled
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150gms Strawberry diced finely
Strawberry Coconut Cream
- 1/3 cup Coconut cream, chilled
- 4-5 Strawberry diced finely
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 Tbsp Fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- Pre heat the oven to 200C. Line a baking tray with silpat or baking paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together all the dry ingredients.
- Rub in the chilled coconut oil or butter until the mixture forms large coarse crumbs.
- Whisk the cream and egg together and pour over the dry ingredients. Mix with a fork until the dry ingredients are just moistened. Tip in the strawberries and mix them in very gently.
- Turn the dough out on to a well floured surface and press together gently till it forms a ball.
- Press into a 8″ disc and cut into 12 equal wedges with a very sharp knife.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- While the scones are cooling, whisk together the glaze ingredients until smooth and thick. Drizzle over warm scones.
Strawberry Coconut Cream
- Whisk the chilled coconut cream and honey together until smooth. Gently stir in strawberries. Taste and adjust for sweetness.
Thnx for a great recipe! I tried these with cranberry.... Couldn't find strawberries 🙁 made these dairy free..... I think I used the coconut oil a lil less than required.... It's not mentioned in the recipe....nevertheless they were flaky inside. Will definitely make them again!
Ooops! I've fixed that now. Thank you Sim, for pointing it out and trying the recipe regardless! So glad the scones came out well. Cranberries sound wonderful here. You can maybe give them a try with fresh cherries too. Have a lovely day! 🙂