At the risk of being a bit presumptuous here, this Chocolate Ice Cream may possibly be one of the best I've tasted! It's rich, creamy with an incredible chocolate flavor enhanced by almond butter in there!
Yes, while this Chocolate Ice Cream all so amazing and all, it's also ridiculously easy to make. I again referred to David Lebovitz's THE PERFECT SCOOP for the recipe, like for my MANGO CHERRY FROZEN YOGURT. He has a fantastic recipe collection for all kinds of ice creams, sorbets etc that you may be looking for.
I've been making his Philadelphia style chocolate ice cream for years now. It's an eggless recipe which is what I prefer. But that's only because I'm too lazy to make egg custard! The comfort and the ease of heating all ingredients in a saucepan and then blending them before churning the mixture made me opt for this vegetarian version.
The thought of making this completely dairy-free did cross my mind, but thanks to bad grocery planning, I was out of coconut cream and milk. There will be a round of vegan testing for sure as my VEGAN MINT ICE CREAM did turn out tops.
Now back to the recipe, the book recommends full-fat cream and milk. I had neither, so I took a chance with Amul cream ( which is 25% fat) and toned milk at home. The finished product still delivered and how! A couple of loaded scoops of almond butter rounded up the flavors and brought forth wonderful richness to the dessert. 70% dark chocolate and excellent quality cocoa added to the overall superior taste that can't be compared to most of the ice creams or frozen desserts masquerading as ice creams nowadays.
So wish you happy summer days full of delicious homemade ice creams! If you try this recipe, do let me know. Please do tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes!
Chocolate Almond Ice Cream
- 2 cups Cream I used Amul. Recommended full fat.
- 1/4 cup Cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 170 gms 70% dark chocolate
- 2 Tbsp ( generous) Almond butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 11/4 cup Milk I used toned milk. Recommended full fat.
- Whisk together cream, sugar and cocoa in a large saucepan. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil over medium heat while whisking it frequently.
- Take it off the heat. Stir in the chocolate and almond butter. Once its melted completely, mix in the milk and vanilla extract.
- Cool the mixture a bit and then blend it to make sure its completely smooth.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator. Then freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. You can eat it straight away as a soft serve or take it out in a freezer friendly pan and freeze it till hard.
- If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can freeze the mixture until its semi frozen. Take it out and churn it in your blender. Put it back in the freezer till its semi frozen again. Repeat this process 3-4 times to get a perfectly creamy ice cream.