Hello potato lovers! Get a load on these super crispy Garlic Basil Smashed Potatoes! Flavourful and fun to make, these little babies are a perfect side dish for your parties or weeknight dinners.
You are in for a real treat with these Garlic Basil Smashed Potatoes. Crisp on the outside, tender creamy on the inside. The classic flavors of fresh basil and garlic in every bite make these taters so special. And the addition of sea salt takes it up another notch.
How Can I Make Smashed Potatoes
This recipe couldn’t be any simpler. Potatoes are first boiled in salted water. I like to use my trusty pressure cooker for this.
Then they are given a good massage with garlic basil paste.
Now the most satisfying part – smashing them with the palm of your hands! A fork will work well too. Since they only need to be flattened, make sure they aren’t completely smashed! Also, don’t worry about making them perfect..they are meant to be rustic and all scraggy…just adds to the charm!
These taters are then baked for about 30 minutes till they are crisp and golden on the outside and tender, buttery soft on the inside.
How Can I Serve These Potatoes
While these potatoes are wonderful eaten on their own, you could serve them any dip of your choice.
A drizzle of chipotle mayonnaise or cashew sauce would add so much pizzaz.
You can even sprinkle some cheese on top before roasting them.
A dollop of sour cream on top would be lovely. Add some dill to that and you’re in heaven!
You can use any herb you like – thyme, rosemary, mint. Use butter instead of olive oil. The flavor and serving combinations here are only limited by your imagination.
They are a gorgeous side dish you can serve with any main dish, be it meat, roast chicken, some grilled fish, a vegetable bake, pan-fried paneer or tofu. Serve them atop a green leafy salad with some grilled halloumi and your guest won’t stop talking about this!
So do give these delectable and healthy garlic basil smashed potatoes a try. Even if you’re not a potato fan, you’ll be addicted to them in no time, I promise!
If you try this recipe, do let me know. Please do tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes!
Garlic Basil Smashed Potatoes
- 10- 12 Potatoes, small
- 1/4 cup Fresh Basil Leaves
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 1 tsp Black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Flakes
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin Olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Boil the potatoes in salted water. I used my pressure cooker.
- Drain them and let them cool a bit.
- Preheat your oven to 225C and grease a baking tray. You could line it with parchment paper or aluminium foil too.
- Combine basil, garlic, red chilli flakes, pepper, salt and olive oil in a mortar . Grind using a pestle until you get a paste. Don't worry about making it smooth. Alternatively, you could combine all ingredients in a food processor. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Rub the boiled potatoes very well with half of this sauce. Now flatten them using the palm of your hand or a fork. Work the remaining sauce into the smashed potatoes, making sure every crevice gets the flavours in.
- Place on the prepared tray and bake for 30 minutes or until crispy and golden. Serve immediately.