Bringing you this easy to make, moist and positively sumptuous Chocolate Pear Amaranth Cake. It’s a gorgeous cake, perfect for dessert and anytime snacking!
This Chocolate Pear Amaranth Cake is more like a fudgy brownie, than a fluffy cake. Its got a dense crumb yet is light to eat. The chocolate flavour here comes from dark chocolate and some cocoa powder. We belong to the tribe of strong true blue chocolate lovers, without the sugar rush. But if you’re not into the cocoa punch, you can easily leave that out.
Jaggery powder works so beautifully here as a sweetener. It imparts a deep taste, aroma and character to the cake. It’s a healthier, unrefined form of sugar with many health benefits and can be added to many desserts like this ALMOND MILLET KHEER and CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER CUPS. And no, it does not have fewer calories than regular sugar, for all those wondering. If you don’t have access to jaggery powder, you can easily use cane sugar or brown sugar.
I love baking with alternate flours. My favourite being buckwheat. Like buckwheat, amaranth flour is also easy to work with in baking. Its deep, intense , almost nutty flavour compliments chocolate rather well. Being gluten-free, its easy to digest and is full of whole grain nutrition. Its rich in calcium, iron, fiber and contains all nine essential amino acids, making it a fantastic source of protein.
So we have a wonderful flavoursome chocolate cake, with a hint of ginger, topped with gorgeous juicy local pears and sweet, buttery hazelnuts. A sprinkle of cinnamon sugar on top just enhances the flavours further. Made with interesting , unexpected ingredients, this one was a huge hit at home. Yes, with the kids too!
If you try this recipe, do let me know. I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes!
Chocolate Pear Amaranth Cake
- 3/4 cup Dairy free chocolate or Dark chocolate (70%)
- 1/2 cup Coconut oil
- 1/2 scant cup Jaggery Powder
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Amaranth flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa powder optional
- 1 tsp Ginger powder
- 2 medium sized Pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon sugar optional
- 1-2 tbsp Hazelnuts, roughly chopped optional
- Pre heat your oven to 180C. Grease an 8" cast iron skillet or a round baking tin.
- Over a double boiler, gently melt the chocolate and coconut oil. Take it off the heat when the chocolate is almost melted. Stir the mixture till smooth and shiny.
- Add the jaggery powder. Mix well. When the mixture is cool, whisk in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- To the chocolate egg mix, add amaranth flour, cocoa powder ( if using), baking powder, ginger powder and salt. Stir gently with a spatula until no traces of flour remain. This will be thick brownie- like batter.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Place the pear slices on top. Sprinkle some cinnamon sugar and chopped hazelnuts ( if using).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs on it.
- Let the cake cool in the skillet as it will be too hot to handle for a few minutes. Turn the cake out on a platter or serve straight from the skillet. Enjoy!