Faced with dreadful humidity and busy days, I decided to bring this gorgeous raw frozen dessert to fuel us up and cool us down. This Raw Almond Slice reicpe is an ode to clean eating and sinless pleasures!
After the stupendous success of the Raw Snickers Pie, we have all fallen hook, line, and sinker for these scrumptious no-bake treats. This recipe was my attempt to recreate Almond Joy candy bars…chock-a-block with almonds and coconut, topped with smooth deep bittersweet chocolate. Happy to report a complete wipeout within 2 days!
It doesn’t hurt that its a fantastic healthier version of the sugar-laden candy bar that’s full of unhealthy fats and processed ingredients. This dessert is FREE of dairy, refined sugar, gluten, and FULL of healthy fats and yet tastes amazing. This Raw Almond Slice is quite rich, so a small portion goes a long way to satisfy your cravings.
– Soaking the almonds overnight makes them silky smooth when blended.
– I used dairy-free organic chocolate from EarthLoaf for the topping. You can certainly use good quality dark chocolate, at least 70%. Or simply make the chocolate topping from here if you want to keep it vegan.
– You can increase the number of dates for the crust and filling if you don’t wish to use honey or maple syrup.
– All-natural or organic almond butter is easily available in most organic food stores and online as well. Feel free to substitute with all-natural or organic peanut butter.
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
Raw Almond Slice
- 200 gms Desiccated coconut
- 70 gms Almond meal
- 3 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 6 Dates soaked in warm water
- 1-2 Tbsp Water
- 1 Tbsp Honey/ maple syrup
- 65 gms Almonds soaked overnight and peeled
- 10 Dates soaked in warm water
- 1 Tbsp Flax seeds
- 2 Tbsp Honey/Maple syrup
- 4 Tbsp Almond butter you can use peanut butter also
- 75 gms Dairy free chocolate or Dark chocolate (70%)
- 100 ml Light coconut milk
For the crust:
- Combine all the ingredients of the crust, except water, in a food processor or blender, until everything clumps together. If the mixture seems too dry, add water, 1 Tbsp at a time, till it all comes together. It will be a sticky mixture. Pat into the base of a 8" by 4" tart pan or a 6" round tart pan with a removable base. Put it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
For the filling:
- In the same food processor or blender (no need to wash it out) combine all ingredients for the filling. Taste and adjust for sweetness. Pour over the chilled crust and pop it back in the freezer about 2-3 hours until completely set.
For the topping:
- Combine the chocolate and coconut milk over very low heat, preferably over a double boiler, stirring continuously until smooth and homogenized. Cool, pour over the frozen filling and freeze overnight. Drizzle with some melted chocolate if you wish.
- Release the completely frozen dessert from the pan. Let it thaw for about 5 minutes, cut into slices and enjoy!!