Raw vegan cheesecakes are all over the internet and even though I've been intrigued by them for the last a couple of years, I have no idea why I didn't give it a go up until now. Now don't be like me, go ahead and make this amazing Cherry Lemon Cheesecake today! You can always thank me later!
All you need is a good quality blender/ food processor ( I used my Vitamix )and some space in your freezer, other than that this recipe is really hard to mess up. I love the classic combination of cherries and lemon in this Cherry Lemon Cheesecake. But you can add any kind of flavouring to the batter..chocolate, peanut butter, any fruit, caramel... You can mix 'n match flavors to make your own groovy cheesecake.
Soaking the cashew nuts helps remove enzymes called phytates that hinder vitamin and mineral absorption. They are a rich source of manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, and vitamin K. So yes, you get all these benefits and your taste buds won't know a thing, I promise.
Cashew nuts are what make this filling ridiculously delicious, silky, creamy and luscious. A little bit of lemon juice gives the cheesecake its characteristic tang. And my gosh, those juicy cherries burst in your mouth with every bite..so so yummmmmm!!
So while this cheesecake may not be a low-calorie dessert, if you are comparing it to a regular cheesecake, it is enriched with ALL the goodness of nuts, dates, honey/ maple syrup with their vitamins, minerals intact since its RAW.
This Cherry Lemon Cheesecake is really a fabulously delectable dessert, so rich and velvety, and I hope you'll love it as much as we do! If you try this recipe, do let me know. Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes!
Raw Cherry Lemon Cheesecake
- 1 cup Almond meal
- 14 pcs Dates pitted and soaked in 2 tbsp hot water for 10 minutes
- 1 tsp Cocoa powder
- 1.5 cup Cashewnuts soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
- 6 Tbsp Maple syrup or Honey
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2-3 Tbsp Coconut milk I used light though full fat would be good.
- 1 cup Cherries Pitted and cut in half
- 75 gms Dairy free chocolate or Dark chocolate (70%) at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp Coconut milk
- Grease an 8" spring bottom pan lightly with coconut oil. I used 3 nonstick 3.5" spring bottom pans.
- Drain the dates and save their soaking water.
- Add almond meal, cocoa powder and dates to your blender/ food processor. Blend until you get a sticky "dough". Add the soaking water, 1 tbsp, at a time to get the "dough" going.
- Pat this dough evenly on the base of the prepared pan and set in the freezer to firm up.
- Put all the filling ingredients in a blender, except for the cherries and whiz until very smooth and silky. You may need to add an extra tablespoon of coconut milk.
- Taste and adjust for sweetness or tartness. Fold in the cherries ( with their juices) gently.
- Pour over the set crust and put back in the freezer. Let it set overnight. Add the chocolate topping next day.
- Heat the coconut milk in a small bowl in the microwave for 20 seconds. Add the chocolate in and stir until melted and smooth and shiny.
- Spread evenly over the set cheesecake and pop the pan back in the freezer for a couple hours.
- Once set, run a blunt knife all around the pan and lift the cake/cakes out. You can let it sit for 10-15 minutes to soften up or serve it frozen. Enjoy!