The sun is beating down on us with a vengeance it seems. With the heat and dust, comes the generous blessings of glorious bounties of summer. Bright, vivid, sweet stone fruits are a sight for sore eyes and undoubtedly make this weather bearable.
Now hot or not, bake I must. And bake I must with these gorgeous fruits. So first thing this morning, before the day took over, I quickly put together gluten-free Peach & Plum Crumb Bars. These were certainly a scrumptious mid-morning treat, lightly sweet and tart with a soft buttery crust and a crunchy crumb topping!
I made up this recipe completely on the fly. I wanted to use a mix of all-purpose flour and whole-wheat flour, by the time I took them out, I had a brain wave to use buckwheat instead. A quick look in the pantry produced a small bag of coconut flour and some wonderful cardamom that came all the way from Kochi. Ditched the original plan and went the grain free way. Egg and butter were also put away instead got some coconut milk and coconut oil out!
It’s so fun to do some impromptu baking especially if the end product is as delicious as this! I love the way fruit juices ooze out while getting baked and get all jammy, how the gentle fragrance of cardamom wafts through the house…its pure bliss.
They are absolutely non-fussy to make with minimal cleanup…One bowl for all your mixing, that’s it! Use any fruit of your choice..I’d also thrown in a handful of cherries that were about to be spoiled! Great for all-day snacking or you could even serve a warmed up bar with a scoop of vanilla ice cream to make an indulgent dessert!!
- I like to store these bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The coconut oil /butter would make them too soft in our hot weather.
- If you don’t have coconut flour, please use all buckwheat. Alternatively, you could mix in some all-purpose, whole-wheat or even oat flour.
- You can add oats or any nuts, seeds of your choice to the crumb topping.
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
Peach & Plum Crumb Bars
- 200 gms Buckwheat flour
- 40 gms Coconut flour
- 140 gms Granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 100 gms Coconut oil, chilled Or butter
- 8-10 Cardamom pods seeds only, pounded
- 3-4 Tbsp Coconut milk
- 2 cup Chopped fruits- peaches, plums
- 1 Tbsp Coconut oil/ Butter extra
- 1/2 cup Almond flakes
- Pre heat the oven to 180C. Grease a 9" square or round pan. I used an 8"/ 11" pan.
- Combine both the flours with salt, sugar, pounded cardamom seeds in a large bowl.
- Rub in the chilled coconut oil or butter, till crumbly.
- Keep aside 1 cup of this crumbly mixture.
- To the balance mixture, add coconut milk, 1 tbsp at a time. Mix well with a fork. Add more coconut milk till your mixture resembles wet sand.
- Pat this dough evenly at the bottom of your prepared pan. Tip over the chopped fruits.
- Add 1 extra tbsp of coconut oil or butter to the mixture you had kept aside. Mix in almond flakes and spread on top of your fruits.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes till the fruits are bubbly and the top is golden brown.
- Cool for at least 30 minutes for the fruit juices to settle down. Cut into squares and serve warm or at room temperature. I like to refrigerate the bake before cutting it into squares. Either ways, its really delicious! Enjoy!