Summer is beating down upon us, hot and strong! I have pitchers of lassi, iced tea and lemonade which work really well for the adults at home. But the kid and his little friends are forever tempted by all the artificially coloured vitamin waters, sugary fruit juices. Ugghhhhh!! Had to come up with my own brand of soft drinks, colourful and delicious enough, to entice them..... Ergo these Fruity Summer Coolers!
I'm happy to say these are a hit with everyone at home and the entourage too. I make a few of these in the morning, pour them in cute little bottles and keep them in the chiller. Believe me, an array of rainbow coolers perched prettily on your refrigerator shelf is absolutely irresistible! And these are always the first to go. 🙂
Of course, the clear advantage of making these thirst-quenchers at home is that you aren't consuming any nasty food colouring, preservatives, additives and sugars. The other advantage is that this is a great way to use up fruits that aren't so popular in the house or are on the verge of spoiling.
So you have drinks that are made with only real ingredients, that are already available to you in your house. Easy and fast to make, they taste fresh, clean, are nutrient-rich, and incredibly beautiful!
I hope you'll try some of these. Use any fruit, maybe even some vegetables or a mix and match, add herbs or not. Add sweetener of your choice if you wish to. Add lots of ice to make it thick like a slushy or thin it out....you are only limited by your imagination. Treat yourself, your family and friends to great taste and rainbow colours this summer!
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
Fruity Summer Coolers
- 1/2 cup Watermelon, diced
- 1/2 cup Jamun,diced
- 1/2 cup Mango, diced
- 1/2 cup Peaches, diced
- 2 cups Coconut water
- 8-10 Basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp Black salt/ Kala namak
- Watermelon cooler – blend together half cup watermelon, 1/4 tsp black salt , half cup coconut water with lots of ice.
- Jamun cooler - blend together half cup jamun, 1/4 tsp black salt, half cup coconut water with lots of ice.
- Peach cooler – blend together half cup peaches, 4-5 basil leaves, half cup coconut water with lots of ice.
- Mango cooler - blend together half cup mango, 4-5 basil leaves, half cup coconut water with lots of ice.
- These quantities are good for 1 large serving for each cooler.
- Please adjust the liquid/ fruit ratio according to the consistency you prefer.
- Please add any sweetener of your choice, if you wish.