Even after years of baking, the magic of mixing together flour, eggs and butter to make the simplest of the cakes, hasn’t waned. This delightful Plum Poppyseed Cake is a variation of my basic recipe and it never disappoints!
The base of this Plum Poppyseed Cake is a simple one and also very adaptable. You can stir in pretty much any kind of add-ins you’d like..chocolate chips, cocoa powder, nuts, seeds, and of course fresh fruits. Stone fruits in particular are fabulous. They make the cakes so moist and flavourful. Cherries, apricots, peaches, apples, all work beautifully in here.
I love how the fruit cooks in the batter, creating little jammy puddles! Especially plums, with their delectable tart flavour that cuts through the sweetness of the batter. The soft baked fruit balances perfectly with the delicate crunch of poppyseeds and almond flakes and the tender crumb of this cake.
I prefer using oil in this recipe as opposed to butter, as I believe that’s what keeps the cake very soft. Like in this ORANGE POPPYSEED CAKE. But don’t be bound by that, I’ve made this with butter as well rather successfully. The same goes for milk in this recipe. You can use any milk you like, I prefer light coconut milk, to keep this cake dairyfree.
I’m aware that poppyseeds are not easily found in our supermarkets. But then these days, pretty much everything is available online. They add a beautiful nuttiness and crunch to the cake apart from being a rich source of calcium, magnesium, and fiber. In case you can’t find them, you could use black sesame or chia seeds. Different taste profile, but great texture and also, very delicious.
If you try this recipe, do let me know. Please do tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes!
Plum Poppyseed Cake
- 1.5 cups Wholewheat flour All purpose flour also works very well here.
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp Poppyseeds
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Coconut oil You can use any oil of your choice.
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Light coconut milk You can any milk of your choice.
- 7-8 Plums, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup Almond flakes
- 2 tbsp Almond flakes
- icing sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180C. Grease and flour your baking pan. I used a 8" * 4" rectangular pan.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and poppyseeds in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until the mixture is thick and doubled in volume. Slowly add the oil and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 batches into the egg mixture, alternating with milk.
- Gently fold in the plums and almonds. The batter should be thick.
- Spoon the batter into your prepared pan. *Sprinkle flaked almonds on top and bake for 45-50 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let it cool in the pan for 10 -15 minutes before turning it out on a cooling rack.
- This cake stores very well in the refrigerator in an airtight container.