Lets keep the mango party going, shall we?! We have plenty of marvellous mango desserts and there is no way I'm getting tired of them anytime soon. But I do love mangoes in savoury dishes too. Like this Raw Mango Rice!
I have quite a few quick and easy recipes in my repertoire since that's pretty much how I like to cook. Cooking shouldn't feel stressful. Yes, even when one is short on time and ideas. Something about bringing a bowl of fresh food on the table gives immense joy and relaxes me. It can be as simple as this Raw Mango Rice. Delicious, healthy and way better than any takeout!
This recipe is essentially stir fried rice, which means, it's better to use cold rice. Though yours truly has, plenty of times, cooked rice last-minute, spread it out on a large tray and put it right under a ceiling fan on full speed! While everything else gets done, the rice is cool enough to use. Note to self : get better at meal planning and organising!
While raw mangoes are available everywhere these days, my favourite place to pick them is from our neighbour's tree. I have no shame! They are getting used for making aam ka panna, MANGO CHUTNEY, pickles ( by my mom) and also in lip puckering salads.
Back to this raw mango rice. Apart from being really simple to make, it's so flavourful. Think sour, spicy, savoury, crunchy all in one go. Eaten with a cooling raita ( beetroot raita in this case), it's a perfect, light summer meal. Since there's always a demand for this in the next meal, its wise to cook extra!
All you really need here is some rice, a raw mango and some basic spices ....and you have a wonderful meal ready in no time. No one wants to slave over a hot stove in this heat, right? And oh,by the way, I do like a bit of garam masala in this recipe. The Punjabi in me can't stay away much from it! So not an authentic recipe, but really really good nevertheless.
If you try this recipe, do let me know. Please do tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes!
Raw Mango Rice
- 3 cups Cooked rice ,cooled
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp Chana dal
- 1 pinch Hing/ asafoetida
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds/ Rai
- 15-16 Curry leaves
- 2 Dried red chillies, broken in half
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 large Raw mango, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 small Green chilli, chopped finely
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup Grated coconut
- 1/4 cup Roasted peanuts, chopped roughly
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add chana dal. Let it cook for a 2 minutes, till it turns golden brown. Add the mustard seeds and asafoetida. Once the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and the red chillies. Let cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the garam masala, turmeric and salt. Add in the raw mango and green chillies. Add a couple tablespoons of water, cover and let cook on low to medium heat until the mango is soft, about 5-6 minutes.This mixture should be slightly wet. If its too dry, add some water, a tablespoon at a time, to make it like a thick gravy.
- Now gently mix in the cooked rice. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Top with roasted peanuts and grated coconut. Serve warm with plain yogurt or raita. Enjoy!
Rasika Rahul says
Yummy and this is just too good and pictures are mouthwattery, cant stop myself to try this amazing recipe.
Here recently I tried raw mangos sweet pickle, try this one as well - http://www.yoreaders.com/sweet-raw-mango-pickle/
Natasha Minocha says
Thank you very much, Rasika! Really appreciate your kind words. I'll definitely stop by to see your pickle recipe 🙂