Chunks of juicy apples, soft cinnamon-scented sponge, crunchy streusel topping, yes that's my vegan Apple Crumble Cake. So perfect with a cup of tea or coffee!
This cake really celebrates apples in all their glory. It cosies up the kitchen with its warm aroma and is delicious to the boot. It's the kind of cake you can make for an evening cuppa or for your guests at a dinner party. Serve warm with ice cream, caramel sauce, or just as is. Either way, it's a good wholesome treat - I wouldn't mind eating for breakfast too!
How Do I make Apple Crumble Cake
This is a simple vegan recipe. No mixer or beater is needed. You just mix dry ingredients with the wet ones, fold in the apples and nuts.
Top with crumble and bake off. The ingredients are very much a pantry staple, except for apple cider but you can always use apple juice instead.
I'm partial to coconut milk, especially the light variety as its easily available. But any milk, regular, soy, almond, oat..anyone will work well here. The oil here is extra virgin olive oil as I wanted a deep rich fruity flavor, but then again, use any neutral-tasting oil if that's what you prefer.
Crumbles add that extra touch, always. I love the buttery crunch of toasted nuts, sugar mixed with flour. Olive oil added a wonderful note here too. I think I need to use it more in my cakes...like I did in this one.
The Final Touch
A few thinly cut slices of apple, fanned out across the cake make it look rather special. The golden roasted apples are so beautiful. Crumble topping is spread on the cake batter, around the fruit. Once baked, the apples are roasted and the crumble is gorgeously golden...such a glorious cake, really!
And oh, this cake keeps quite well and soft on the counter for 2-3 days. You could even refrigerate it for a longer time.. Just remember to warm it a bit before eating it. Its the best when served warm, trust me!
More Easy Apple Dessert Recipes
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, and FACEBOOK for more fabulous recipes!
Apple Crumble Cake
- 1 cup Wholewheat flour
- 1/2 cup All purpose flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 cup Extra virgin Olive oil You can use any neutral oil if you wish
- 1/3 cup Apple cider / apple juice
- 1 cup Light coconut milk You can use any milk of your choice
- 1 large Apple, peeled and diced into small piecessmall pieces
- 1/3 cup Walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Wholewheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2-3 tbsp Extra virgin Olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp Walnuts and Almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 small Apple, cut into thin slices
- Preheat your oven to 180C. Grease an 8" cake tin.
- In a large bowl, combine wholewheat and all purpose flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, apple cider ( or juice) and milk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones. Mix well. It will be a thick batter.
- Fold in the diced apples and walnuts. Scrape the batter out onto the prepared cake tin.
- Fan out the apple slices on the cake batter. Carefully spoon the crumble mixture around the apples on the cake batter. Cover as much area as you can.
- Bake the cake for about 50-55 minutes until the skewer inserted in the center comes out clean with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Then turn it out on a cooling rack to cool. Serve warm. Enjoy!
- Combine the wholewheat flour, sugar, cinnamon and nuts in a small bowl. Mix in the olive oil with a fork. You should get a lumpy mixture.