Raise your hands if you love dark chocolate!
Raise your hand if you love MINTY dark chocolate !
Super, we can now be friends….and because we are friends, I’m throwing in a matcha truffle center too!! Presenting these glorious Matcha Peppermint Chocolate Cups.. I know you’re going to be smitten with them just as much as we are!
Matcha is essentially processed green tea leaves that have been stone ground into a delicate powder. Since the whole tea leaf is used, its nutritional benefits are exponentially potent. It contain high amounts of L- Theanine, an amino acid that helps both calm and stimulate the mind at the same time! Its considered to be a mood enhancing, anti oxidant powerhouse.
To be honest, matcha is nothing the family’s been that kicked about, inspite of its healthful benefits. But these chocolate cups are a game changer. The sweetness of white chocolate camouflages the grassy, slightly bitter taste of the green tea. Also once the peppermint flavoured dark chocolate comes into play, you get a superbly balanced, not too cloyingly sweet, decadent bite.
I like to add some coconut cream while melting the chocolate, though it’s not required, only because it gives the dessert a certain luxuriousness that’s so welcome. Since this definitely NOT a low-calorie dessert, portion control is definitely recommended 🙂 I’d much rather eat a full-bodied lush treat and savour it, than go for anything available on the shelf.
- If you want to make this completely VEGAN, please replace white chocolate with cocoa butter. It’s easily available on Amazon. This is an invaluable tip from my dear friend DEE at GREENSMOOTHIEGOURMET
- I’ve used coconut cream here, but feel free to use regular cream if you wish to.
- Vegan chocolates are also available on Amazon or in Organic food stores nowadays. Else, please use the best quality dark chocolate you can find. I recommend at least 70% dark chocolate.
Enjoy these luscious Matcha Peppermint Chocolate Cups!
I’d love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below and share a picture of your creation on INSTAGRAM using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods.
Matcha Peppermint Chocolate Cups
- 1 1/4 cup Dairy free chocolate or Dark chocolate (70%)
- 5 Tbsp Coconut cream, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp Peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup White chocolate
- 3/4 tsp Matcha powder
- 1 Tbsp White chocolate, melted For drizzling on top. Optional
- Line a 12- cup mini muffin tray with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, melt the dark chocolate with 3 tablespoons cream, in the microwave or on a double boiler ( my preferred way).
- When the chocolate is all smooth and shiny, take it off the heat. Wait for a minute or two, then add 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract. Mix well.
- Fill up the paper cups less than half way with this mixture. Pop the tray in the refrigerator for 20- 30 minutes until set. Keep the extra dark chocolate aside for later use.
- Melt white chocolate with the balance two tablespoon cream gently over a double boiler, until the chocolate is smooth and shiny.
- Gently stir in the matcha powder.
- Spoon 1/2 a teaspoon over each of the set dark chocolate layer and return the tray to the refrigerator for another 20 minutes until set.
- Spoon over the balance dark peppermint chocolate mixture over the matcha layer and back in the fridge now for a good 3-4 hours to set. These are now ready to eat! You can drizzle over some white chocolate if you want to decorate this further.