Vegan Oatmeal Latte. Yes, you heard that right!
It’s a brilliant idea! You eat your oatmeal and drink your coffee at the same time. My goodness, it’s so so deliciously addictive. I’ve been sneaking it in for my lunch too a couple of times this past week. And I’m not even a huge coffee fan.
It’s the kind of cozy breakfast that makes me want to sit in a comfy little corner, enjoy a nice book, listen to some music…all while I’m looking out my window dreamily. Sigh!
It’s a warm bowl of creamy cinnamon spiced oatmeal made extra lush with coconut milk. I cooked dates with my oats. As they cooked, they almost melted into the porridge giving it a lovely, almost caramel-y sweetness. You add some extra frothy hot milk and pour the mixture in a cup. Then top the latte with a shot ( or two) of espresso, some more foamy milk and if you’re like me, a drizzle of dark chocolate sauce!! Heaven!!
Can you see why I’m completely hooked on it? By the way, so is the mister, who typically can’t stand oatmeal! I HAVE to thank the uber talented JESSICA for this incredible recipe. She recommends topping this with granola, something which I’ve forgotten to do every single time. Need to rectify it first thing tomorrow morning. 🙂
This gloriously snuggly bowl on a cold winter morning , is a wonderful start to the day. As they say, a full belly and a warm heart is the key to happiness…here’s your key!! 🙂
- I make it with non diary milk due to my lactose intolerance. Please feel free to use any kind of milk you prefer.
- While I have used dates in this recipe, you can add any sweetener of your choice. Brown sugar seems to be a very popular one.
- The consistency of oatmeal here is almost of a smoothie, not thick like a porridge.
- If you don’t have an espresso machine at home ( I don’t), simply mix in strong brewed coffee.
I wish you slow, leisurely mornings with this oatmeal latte and hope you savour it as much as we do. I’d love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below and share a picture of your creation on INSTAGRAM using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods.
Vegan Oatmeal Latte
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1.5 cups Coconut milk, light or any milk
- 3 Dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup Strong brewed coffee or 1 shot ( maybe 2! ) espresso
Chocolate Sauce for topping ( optional)
- 1 tbsp Dairy free chocolate or Dark chocolate (70%)
- 2 tbsp Coconut milk ( or any milk)
- Combine oats and dates in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat with 1/2 cup water and milk. Stir in the salt and cinnamon.
- In another pan, gently boil the remaining 1 cup milk. You want to use the froth on top, if possible.
- Whisk in the hot milk, saving some of the froth. Cook till your oatmeal is creamy. This would take just 3-4 minutes.
- Spoon into a mug, pour the coffee on top and some of the frothy milk. Sprinkle some cinnamon powder and drizzle over some chocolate sauce, if using. Enjoy warm!
- Melt the chocolate and coconut milk together till shiny and smooth.