So after hunting high and low for the longest time for a cast iron skillet, I bought one three years ago. It’s been sitting in a corner of my cupboard ever since….yep, the story of my life! This morning, though, I finally put it to good use and made a scrumptious Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie!
It’s a wonderfully easy recipe. Perfect for a quick dessert…who doesn’t love a giant warm chocolate chip cookie, soft, gooey in the center with a slightly crisp crust. With every bite, you get a puddle of melted dark chocolate. Sprinkle some sea salt on top, serve with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream drizzled with melted chocolate…is this sounding like a winner yet?
Trust me on this, it takes 5 -7 minutes to make the dough. No electric beater please, a fork or a whisk will do. Another 15 minutes in the oven, I won’t even ask you to wait for it to cool down. Just dig into this decadent treat immediately and you will be in cookie heaven!
- I chose to make this recipe gluten-free, using buckwheat flour. Please feel free to substitute with all-purpose or whole-wheat flour if you wish.
- I used a 6″ cast iron skillet. If you don’t have that, you can use a cake pan instead.
- I like to bake with coconut oil these days, so that’s what I put in the batter here. You can easily sub it for butter or any vegetable oil.
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
Glutenfree Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
- 1/2 cup Buckwheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp Coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Dark chocolate chips You can add more if you like.
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt Optional
- 3-4 Almonds, roughly chopped Optional
- Preheat your oven to 180C. Grease your skillet/cake pan very well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg,brown sugar, oil and vanilla extract. Mix this into the dry ingredients. Fold in the chocolate chips. Spread the dough evenly. Sprinkle with some more chocolate chips and almonds.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes till golden brown and puffy on top. Sprinkle the seasalt. Enjoy as is, or warm, straight from the oven or drizzle some chocolate sauce on top and serve with a scoop of vanilla icecream to make it more special. Enjoy!