Pasta in Creamy Mushroom Sauce – For all pasta lovers, here’s an easy, no-fail recipe, that’s always a huge hit with everyone!
I have to admit, most of the times, my children will eat pretty much whatever I cook, happily or reluctantly… they do eat it all up. But give them pasta…in a creamy sauce and they’ll be putty in your hands for the next two days!
This pasta dish comes together in no time at all. I like to make it with non-dairy milk, like coconut or almond milk, because I’m lactose intolerant. And luckily for me, the sauce is so delicious and flavorful, that nobody even notices the difference. Of course, they add whatever amount of cheese they want on top! Please do feel free to use any milk of your choice.
We love our mushrooms here. I like to get a variety of them, whenever possible. But if I can’t get my hands on anything fancy, good old button mushrooms work very well. They add such a lovely meatiness and deep umami flavour to the dish. A touch of thyme, dried or fresh, really makes this sauce sing. I wish I had some white wine to add to this sauce, but, alas, I was all out!
I tossed this creamy mushroom sauce in orzo. But feel free to use any pasta of your choice. This sauce is amazing with grilled chicken or paneer, on top of jacket potatoes, mixed in with rice, on a slice of sourdough toast as well.
I hope this easy Pasta in Creamy Mushroom Sauce makes it to your table soon. It’s so luxurious in taste that it is hard to believe it can be put together in such a short amount of time!
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes!
Pasta in Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- 200 gms Orzo Pasta You can use any pasta of your choice
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin Olive oil
- 5-6 cloves Garlic, thinly sliced
- 400 gms Button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp All purpose flour
- 400 ml Coconut milk You can use any milk of your choice
- 1 tsp Chilli flakes Add more if you prefer.
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp Dried oregano
- 1/4 cup Vegetable broth You can use water / chicken broth instead. White wine works very well here too.
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Parsley to sprinkle on top
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain well.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the garlic and chilli flakes; cook for a minute. Stir in the mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes till golden brown.
- Now add in the flour and cook for a couple of minutes. Whisk in the coconut milk, along with dried thyme and oregano. Keep stirring the mixture and let come to a gentle boil. The sauce should be thick and creamy now. Whisk in the broth. And let the sauce simmer for a few minutes. add more broth if the sauce is too thick.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust accordingly.
- Gently mix in the cooked pasta. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve immediately. Enjoy!