For those seeking a simple vegan milk recipe, this homemade almond milk is a great place to start! With just 2 ingredients, you have creamy, healthy & delicious vegan milk ready in no time.
Like many others, I grew up drinking milk every day. Summers meant tall glasses of cold coffee, fruit smoothies, milkshakes. Winter evenings always featured a big cosy mug of hot chocolate or doodh chai. My love for milk continued unabated for many years to come....till I discovered I'm lactose intolerant. Thank goodness for dairy-free alternatives which have allowed me to continue with my favourite foods!
Why Make Almond Milk?
Almond milk is delicious on its own, creamy and slightly nutty in flavour. You can certainly add a sweetener to it if you like a sweeter version. It's a fabulous addition to your smoothies and shakes. And yes, very healthy.
It's alkaline, low in calories, glycemic index and sodium, high in healthy fats, cholesterol-free, rich in Vitamins A, B, D & E. While it doesn’t offer as much calcium as cow’s milk, almond milk does offer 30 per cent of the recommended daily amount. Since its lactose-free, it's easy on the digestive system as well.
The fact that its great tasting, versatile and nutritionally dense is appealing to many people and not just the ones following a vegan diet!
Making the Homemade Almond Milk
It's surprisingly easy to make at home. We are talking about soaking almonds overnight and grinding them with water the next day, then strain and drink. Grinding and straining takes a few minutes, but that's about all the work you'll have to do! Unprocessed, wholesome and economical almond milk in 10 minutes top. I have some pictures below to show the process.
Start with soaking the almonds overnight for 8 - 12 hours.
Blend them with water for 2-3 minutes at high speed.
Strain through a cheesecloth.
Store in a glass jar/jug for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Variations of the Homemade Almond Milk Recipe -
* To make sweet almond milk - add 5-6 dates or 4 Tbsp honey, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp vanilla extract.
* To make chocolate almond milk - add 1 Tbsp of cocoa powder to sweet almond milk. Add additional sweetener if required.
For more Vegan Milk DIYs:
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also follow me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
- 1 cup Almonds 250 gms
- 1 ltr Water
- Put the almonds in a bowl, pour over enough water to cover them. Soak them overnight ( 8 – 10 hrs)
- Drain and rinse them well. Place them in a blender with 1ltr water.
- Blend at high-speed for 2-3 minutes.
- Place a cheese cloth over a large bowl and carefully pour the blended mixture over it.
- Gently squeeze the cheese cloth to extract the last bit of milk.
- Pour the milk in a glass jar/ jug. It should keep well for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- You can peel the soaked almonds after rinsing them well, then grind them with water. No straining required!
- Save the leftover almond meal. Spread it out in a pan and roast in a 180C oven for about 20 minutes till dry and golden. Sprinkle on top of your smoothies, cereal; add in your baking…cookies, cakes or even in place of breadcrumbs. No food waste!!