Thandai Masala is a delicious spice powder mix that is used to make a special cold drink Thandai, which is popular during Holi season.
It just takes simple ingredients and 5 minutes to prepare!
Once you have a jar of Thandai Masala at home, not only can you enjoy Thandai anytime, but use it in so many delicious recipes.
Holi It marks the arrival of spring and is also celebrated to give thanks for a good harvest. Everyone dons their old clothes, gets together to play with colours and water. As with all festivals, Holi also has its share of quintessential food preparations.
Since is Thandai is the most popular beverage for this celebration, I have for you Instant Thandai Masala Mix ( spice nut mix) to help you make this special drink in no time!
Recipes I use this Instant Thandai Masala Mix in
- Thandai Baked Yogurt
- No Churn Thandai Ice Cream
- Eggless Thandai Cookies
- Strawberry Thandai Popsicles
- Mango Thandai Popsicles
Why Make Thandai Masala At Home
Nowadays markets are flooded with bottled Thandai and instant mixes. As I have grown up drinking the real stuff, I tend to stay away from all of this.
Not only is the taste seriously compromised, but there are way too many preservatives, artificial flavourings, colours and an unnecessary amount of sugar in them.
Why bother with all of that when you can grind all the nuts and spices in a grinder at home, store it in a jar, all within 5 minutes?
Of course, you must have all the ingredients in hand, which also are so easily accessible!
How to make Instant Thandai Masala Mix
- Collect all the nuts & spices (detailed in recipe card below)
- Place all the ingredients in a clean, dry coffee/ masala grinder
- Grind to a fine powder
- Store in air tight jar and refrigerate
Note - you can sieve the powder and grind the residue again for a finer powder. I skipped this step and left my mix a little chunky!
Blend together a glass of milk, a couple of teaspoons of Thandai Masala Mix, some sugar or any sweetener of your choice.
You may want to strain the blended milk if you like a smooth texture. If you don't mind the slight coarseness from almonds and poppyseeds, then there is no need to strain.
Enjoy a spiced, healthy cooling drink1
So have a funfilled safe Holi, enjoy all the delicacies along with this Thandai! I’d love to hear from you.
Do leave a comment below and share a picture on INSTAGRAM using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods !
Instant Thandai Masala Mix
- 1/4 cup Almonds
- 1/4 cup Pistachio
- 1/4 cup Cashewnuts
- 2 tbsp Poppy seeds
- 2 tbsp Melon seeds
- 2 tbsp Fennel seeds
- 10 pods Green cardamom, seeds only
- 2 tbsp Dried Rose Petals
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Saffron
- Place all the ingredients in a clean, dry coffee/ masala grinder.
- Grind to a fine powder. At this stage, you can sieve the powder and and grind the residue again. I skipped this step and left my mix a little chunky.
- Store in air tight jar and refrigerate.
To make Thandai:
- Blend a glass of milk ( I used Almond Milk), some sugar or any sweetener of your choice ( I used jaggery powder), according to your taste and 2 tsp of this mix in your blender. Taste and adjust for sweetness. Chill and enjoy!