The mango thandai popsicle is bursting with the bold flavors of the tropical fruit mingled beautifully with the nutty, spicy thandai mix in a smooth, creamy texture.
Mango is the quintessential summer fruit. Sticky, juicy, tart, and sweet, it embodies summer’s brightness (and warmth). As much as we love to gorge on it, it is nice to have it in another form.
However, the craving for the seasonal fruit was still going strong, and I wanted to play with it some more. So, I decided to put it together with my darker, spicier instant thandai masala mix to create the picture-perfect treat for a warm, sweaty summer day.
How to make mango thandai popsicle?
I know we get most excited about thandai during Holi, but trust me, the cooling drink is great throughout the scorching months. Plus, it takes all of five minutes to make the thandai powder. Stick in the fridge, and you can use it for anything – ice cream, baked yogurt, cookies, turmeric milk, and, of course, popsicles.
- Blend plain Greek yogurt and mango in a food processor.
- For some sweetness and richness, I added some condensed milk.
- Mix in the thandai masala and blend till the mixture is nice, smooth, and thick.
- Taste and adjust the sweetness with some more condensed milk if the sharpness of the mango and yogurt are shining through too much.
- Pour into popsicle molds and then freeze overnight. I highly recommend making them a night ahead.
That’s it. Quick and easy. You get to enjoy tasty, super creamy popsicles loaded with sweet juicy mangoes and popping with thandai flavor the next day!
Variations of the mango thandai popsicle
The recipe is a roadmap for any fruit popsicle. Pander to your taste:
- Jamun Yogurt Popsicles
- Almond Peach Popsicles
- Mango Coconut Popsicles
- Easy Cherry Yogurt Popsicles
- Strawberry Thandai Popsicles
- Mango Lemon Cashew Popsicles
But to get the most out of the recipe, stick to a few rules of thumb.
Plain Greek yogurt is essential to get that luscious, unparalleled, creamy texture. It also lends a pleasant piquant essence that pairs so well with mango.
You can use homemade yogurt, but remember to drain it extremely well. Hang it for 5 to 6 hours. Else, it will yield icy popsicles – not what you want.
Full fat coconut milk or cream also makes a great substitute for yogurt.
For a vegan mango thandai popsicle, use any plant-based yogurt. I had no idea, but you can now get plant-based condensed milk online too!
Fresh mango gives you the most delicious pops. Any variety you can get your hands on will trump frozen mangoes. Safeda is on its last legs here, so that’s what I used. But feel free to try any mango.
If fresh mangoes are not available in your corner of the world, canned mango puree will do in a pinch. In case you do end up with frozen fruit, add more condensed milk to balance the tart punch.
Homemade thandai masala is the clear winner. You can make it in an instant, and it lasts for a long time. Once you try my recipe, you’ll never go back to the store-bought version. But if you already have a commercial thandai mix at home, please go ahead and use it.
Enjoy the mango thandai popsicle
A velvety smooth texture with just the right amount of spicy bite and a well-balanced blend of rich, bold mango and tangy yogurt - the mango thandai popsicle is the perfect, healthy (ish) summer treat. The kickass flavors go so well together that I really don’t know why I haven’t made it more often!
If you make these delicious creay mango thandai popsicles, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love getting to connect with you guys. You can also follow me on Instagram & Pinterest for more fabulous recipes.
Mango Thandai Popsicles
- 2 medium-sized Mangoes, peeled and diced
- 1 3/4 cups Greek yogurt You can also use thick, hung yogurt
- 1/4 cup Condensed milk
- 3-4 tbsp Thandai powder Please see notes below for the recipe
- Blend all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Tatse and adjust for sweetness. You can add more condensed milk if you like the popsicles sweeter or if your mangoes are not sweet enough.
- Pour the mango mixture into your popsicle moulds. Freeze overnight.
- Unmould next morning and enjoy!