Combining two of my most beloved summer favourites to create these Mango Pancakes – seasonal fruit & quick breakfasts! They are light, fluffy, perfectly sweet & all-around delicious.
A big stack of pancakes is often the nicest way to uplift spirits and make the tastebuds dance. They have everything you could want in an easy summer breakfast! Supremely simple to make, flavoured with the most gorgeous seasonal fruit and light.
Plus, with Mother’s Day right around the corner, what better excuse to make a fluffy stack of pancakes topped with fresh mangoes and sinful amounts of maple syrup? Or just enjoy them for a lazy Sunday morning brunch. You can never go wrong with a classic pancake recipe!
Pancakes are a weekend staple at my home and since it requires stove-time first thing in the morning, you’ll see that I keep effort as minimal as possible. Simplicity is key here.
How to make mango pancakes
- You whisk sift wholewheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- In a small separate bowl, whisk together fresh mango puree, coconut milk, coconut oil, and vanilla extract.
- Pour over the dry ingredients and whisk well to make a thick, lump-free batter.
Cooking the pancakes
- Here it’s important to heat your griddle pan properly. It shouldn’t be too hot though.
- Grease the pan properly. That means pour a few drops of oil on the pan and with paper tissue or cloth napkin spread all over the surface. This will grease the pan and soak up the extra oil. Your pan is now ready.
- Pour a small ladle full of the batter in the center of the pan and quickly spread it evenly. If you’re looking to make fat pancakes, don’t spread the batter.
- Let the pancake cook for 1-2 minutes more till the underside is golden. Carefully flip it over. Cook on the other side till golden brown.
Here are some tips to make fluffy pancakes every time:
To ensure fluffy, soft pancakes, don’t overmix the batter.
Let the batter rest for 5-10 minutes before cooking.
Flip the pancakes gently and please don’t press them down with a spatula.
For extra fluffiness, add an extra 1/2 tsp of baking powder.
Serving the Mango Pancakes
These pancakes don’t need much in terms of dressing up. A drizzle of maple syrup or honey is good enough along with a topping of fresh mangoes and slivered almonds.
You can also make a quick mango compote for serving these with. Or any fruit compote you’d like.
But if you’d like to make it a bit more indulgent, some softly whipped cream or Greek yogurt would be smashing here. As would an addition of blueberries, strawberries, cherries…pop of color is always wonderful for breakfast to start the day on a high note!
Variations of mango pancakes
- If you don’t have access to fresh mangoes, feel free to use canned mango pulp or even frozen mangoes, thawed and pureed.
- This is a vegan recipe, using coconut milk. But you can use any milk, plant-based or regular that you prefer.
- I haven’t added any sugar to the batter as the mango I used was very sweet and also there is a subtle sweetness from coconut milk. But if you’d like a sweeter pancake, you can easily add 2-3 tbsp of sugar to the batter.
- To make a gluten-free version, switch the flour to buckwheat as I did for my apple pancakes.
- You can use any vegetable oil you prefer instead of coconut oil. Or even melted butter.
The mango flavor here is subtle, but it adds freshness and keeps the pancakes soft and moist. Using seasonal ingredients is always so satisfying. Its always nice to serve up healthier versions of foods that the family loves, isn’t it?!
Mango mania is setting in, so its natural they will be added to as many recipes as possible. This aside from being consumed in copious quantities. Here are some more mango recipes for your perusal:
Mango Pancakes Recipe | Easy Mango Pancakes
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
- 1.5 cups Wholewheat flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 cup Coconut milk
- 3/4 cup Mango puree
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, oil, mango puree, and vanilla extract. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well to form a smooth, lump-free, thick batter.
- Please add more milk if the mixture is too thick.
- Grease a griddle with oil and heat it. Pour a small ladle full of batter on the griddle. Let the pancake cook for 1-2 minutes more till the underside is golden. Carefully flip it over. Cook on the other side till golden brown. Repeat till all the batter is used up.
- Serve warm with maple syrup or honey, topped with fresh mango and almond slivers. Enjoy!