I really don’t know what came upon me when I insisted that our house needs a paint job and some renovations. Now we are in the thick of things and there is dust, paint, buckets, brushes, mops all over! This is also the birthday week here; both kids birthdays back to back. Daughter’s extra classes, son’s busy social calendar, my work…..whew!!! No, not easy….but the thought of freshly painted clean walls refurbished couches alone makes me happy. No matter how busy things get around here, there’s always time to make one of my favorite meals – Red Rice & Mango Salad w/ Sriracha Vinaigrette!
One of my go-to options for meals is salads…cool, refreshing, hearty, nourishing and yes, energizing! I like to use whole grains in my salads to make them robust. Also, these work beautifully as you can prepare them in the morning and pop in the refrigerator. While the flavors are happily “getting to know each other” and chilling, you can go about your day without worrying about dinner!!
Red rice is wonderfully nutty and flavoursome. Its a fabulous ingredient for salads. Though the truth is told, we are very happy eating it with rajma or chicken curry or in risotto as well! It is unhulled or partially hulled rice with a red husk. It’s very high in fibre as it is unhulled. Fibre aids in slowing down the rate at which carbs are converted into blood sugar, thus keeping you fuller and satiated longer. This rice is also a great source of B vitamins, calcium, zinc and iron, and other nutrients apart from being rich in antioxidants.
And mangoes…one of the most popular tropical fruits. Everyone’s favourite, fresh and juicy and just so delicious. Ripe, unripe, sweet, sour, we love them anyway. High in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E which is amazing for your eyesight, immunity, and skin. Rich in antioxidants, a great source of fibre, mangoes are alkaline in nature thus aid your digestive health. In my house, we eat them as is, cook them with dal, use them for making smoothies, frozen yogurts, popsicles, salsa and of course salads. I’m partial to using slightly sour mangoes in my salads, for that unique flavour and texture.
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
Red Rice & Mango Salad W/ Sriracha Vinaigrette
- 200 gms Red Rice preferably soaked for 15-20 mins, cooked and cooled
- 1 Corn Boiled and scraped off
- 2 Green onion finely diced
- 1 Cucumber deseeded and finely diced
- 1 Kakadi/Armenian Cucumber finely diced
- 1 Carrot finely diced
- 1 Mango diced
- 3 Lemon Juice from Lemons
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha Sauce more if you like
- 5 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Feta Cheese, Goat Cheese, Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds (optional)
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Put all the dressing ingredients in a small screw top jar and shake it vigorously.
- Toss everything well, taste and adjust for seasoning; refrigerate till chilled.
- Top with your favorite garnish and serve!