Nothing evokes autumn visuals quite as easily as the smell of apples baking drifting through the air. This is your sign to bring in autumn with this easy cake recipe that replicates the feeling of a warm hug but in a cake tin. It is hard to imagine a more comforting feeling.
Cinnamon, butter, and apples: the cake will bring about the irresistible aroma of delightful warmth. I also like to add some nuts to add to the autumn feel of things; the nuttiness compliments the freshness of apples.
When the cake bakes, the apples doused in sugar and butter take on a distinct caramel flavor that makes it dreamy and delicious. Need I say more?
WHY TRY THIS EASY APPLE CAKE?
- The perfect way to bring in the fall season. And it gives you the perfect excuse to visit your nearest farmer’s market and pick up the freshest apples you can find.
- It is a lovely, fluffy, moist, and soft-textured recipe, promising to be the best eggless cake you will make this fall.
HOW TO MAKE UPSIDE-DOWN APPLE CAKE?
Step 1: Start with preheating your oven.
Step 2: Grease your cake tin with butter and line the bottom with parchment paper grease that with butter as well.
Step 3: Peel and slice your apples thinly.
Step 4: Make buttermilk by mixing milk and a tablespoon of vinegar. Set it aside for 5 to 10 minutes until it curdles
Step 5: In a small bowl mix melted butter, sugar, and cinnamon powder.
Step 6: Arrange the sliced apples on the lined tin and then pour the melted butter mixture over the apples; set it aside.
Step 7: For the cake batter, in a large bowl whisk together all-purpose flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon powder, and castor sugar, along with finely chopped walnuts.
Step 8: Add coconut oil and vanilla extract to the milk and vinegar mixture.
Step 9: Mix well and pour over your dry ingredients; mix just enough so no dry streaks are visible.
Step 10: Carefully pour the batter over the fruits that have been arranged in the cake tin.
Step 11: Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
REST AND INVERT THE UPSIDE-DOWN APPLE CAKE
Step 12: Let the cake rest in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes.
Step 13: Slowly and carefully invert it onto your serving platter.
Final Step: Gently peel off the parchment paper and the cake is ready to serve!
APPLE UPSIDE DOWN RECIPE NOTES
- Peel the apples for the recipe. In case you want to use the peels, it is preferable to use organic apples if you can get your hands on them.
- I like to slice the apples but cubing them makes for a beautiful alternative and serving style.
- This is an eggless cake so do not overmix the batter. That tends to make the cake dense
- Since this is a fresh apple cake, it will keep well for 2-3 days when refrigerated. Reheat in the microwave before serving
APPLE CAKE UPSIDE-DOWN SERVING SUGGESTIONS
This eggless apple cake needs no adornment; it looks pretty enough as a representative of the yumminess of apple, butter, and cinnamon.
For an extra layer of decadence, you can make a quick batch of candied walnuts and add that on top of the eggless dessert. [See the notes in the recipe card below]
You can also drizzle some caramel sauce on top of a slice of this easy apple cake.
A great serving option for this fall cake would be a warm slice topped with a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream.
UPSIDE-DOWN APPLE CAKE INGREDIENT VARIATIONS
Apples: I like to use whatever is locally available to me preferring to go with locally grown varieties in season. Take your pick from your local market according to what suits your palette!
Flour: I have made this recipe with all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour, both work perfectly well. You can do a full or partial swap.
Oil: I love to use coconut oil; if you don't care for it use any neutral-tasting vegetable oil.
Sugar: I used castor sugar but cane or raw sugar will work just as well.
Vegan: This is an eggless recipe so to make it vegan you will need to substitute dairy milk with any plant-based milk of your choice. Also, butter will need to be substituted with a plant-based version or coconut oil.
Nuts: I love the combination of apple, cinnamon, and walnuts. There is a distinct, enjoyable nutty flavor that they bring to the cake. You can feel free to leave it out based on your personal preference. Substitute it with finely chopped almonds or pecans if you wish or leave it out altogether.
MORE FALL DESSERT RECIPES
Half the joy of cooking is sharing it with others. That’s why I’m always eager to hear from you. So go right ahead and drop a comment or reach out on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook. I hope you love this upside-down apple cake as much as we do!
Upside Down Apple Cake Recipe
- 4 small / 2 big Apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp Melted butter
- 4 tbsp Caster sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1 cup / 200 gms Milk
- 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar You can also use white vinegar
- 1 3/4 cup / 225 gms All-purpose flour
- 1.5 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1.5 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1/2 cup /100 gms Caster sugar
- 1/2 cup / 120 gms Coconut oil You can use any neutral-tasting vegetable oil.
- 1.5 tsp Vanilla extract
- Candied Walnuts, Optional Recipe in the Notes
- Preheat your oven to 180 C. Grease an 8" cake tin, line the bottom with parchment paper and butter it lightly.
- Arrange the apple slices in the cake tin.
- Combine the melted butter, sugar, and cinnamon powder in a small bowl.
- Carefully spread this mixture on top of the apples.
- Mix a small bowl, mix together milk and vinegar. Keep aside for 5-6 minutes until it curdles. This is your buttermilk.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon powder, and sugar.
- To the buttermilk, add coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients. Mix well until no flour streaks are visible.
- Pour the cake batter carefully over the apples.
- Bake at 180 C for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake rest in the pan for 5-7 minutes before turning it over on a serving platter. Top with candied walnuts.
- Slice and serve the cake warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!