Air fryer pumpkin seems fancy, but the low-carb recipe and fall side is superbly easy and fast to make – the air fryer does most of the work. So, if you’re looking for an easy Thanksgiving recipe of your dreams, this vegetable side dish will give you a full plate of gratitude!
Air-fried roast pumpkin (I promise) deserves a seat at the table. Golden brown, crisp, and tender, the fall recipe is ready in just a fraction of the time you’d think it’d take. Roasting pumpkin in an air fryer caramelizes the natural sugar, making it sweeter, richer, and almost buttery!
WHY TRY AIR-FRIED ROAST PUMPKIN?
Prep takes no time
Good enough on its own
It’s hearty, filling, and nutritious
Delicious as a side dish or for other recipes
Needs only 3 ingredients: pumpkin, olive oil, and spices
Even a selective eater will gobble this roasted pumpkin recipe
It’s a healthy pumpkin recipe that shines the light on seasonal produce
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER PUMPKIN?
Step 1: Wash the pumpkin well, peel it, and cut it into thin slices.
Step 2: Toss the cut pumpkin with a generous drizzle of olive oil, paprika, roasted cumin powder, sea salt, coriander powder, turmeric, and freshly ground black pepper.
Step 3: Arrange the pumpkin in the basket in a single layer.
Step 4: Roast pumpkin in the air fryer for 10 minutes at 190°C until crisp and golden brown.
Step 5: Repeat for all pieces.
Final step: Serve!
AIR FRYER ROAST PUMPKIN TIPS
- Don’t crowd the air fryer. They’ll steam instead of roasting. So, for crisp air-fried pumpkin, bake it in batches.
- About 5 minutes in, flip the veggies so they brown evenly.
- I sliced my pumpkin. You can cube or cut it in any other shape, as long as they are of uniform size.
WHICH PUMPKIN IS BEST FOR AIR FRYING OR ROASTING?
Literally, any pumpkin variety you have locally available can be used for air frying or roasting. Just make sure it’s meant for cooking and baking, not carving.
Pumpkins like Jack-O-Lantern are meant for Halloween and Thanksgiving decorations. Don’t use them. Can’t get your hands on pumpkins? Use butternut squash.
HOW TO PREP/CUT PUMPKIN?
Wash and dry: Start washing the pumpkin thoroughly under running water to remove dirt or debris. Then, pat it dry with a clean kitchen towel.
Peel or not to peel: Technically, pumpkin skin is edible, and it does taste amazing if it’s tender and easy to chew. I had a fresh pumpkin with a thin skin, so I didn’t need to peel it. If the skin in yours is tough, peel it away.
Chop the ends: Place the pumpkin on a stable cutting board. Using a sharp knife, carefully cut off the top and bottom to create flat surfaces to work with.
Slice in half: Stand the pumpkin upright on one of the flat ends. Hold it steady and carefully slice it in half vertically from top to bottom.
Cut: Wedges, slices, or roasted pumpkin cubes. Pick what you prefer, roughly 1/2 to 1 inch thick. Wedges look rustic, while slices/cubes may cook more evenly.
WAYS TO SERVE AIR FRIED PUMPKIN
Roast pumpkin is fantastic at room temperature and super delicious served warm. I can (and did) eat platefuls of this air fryer recipe as-is. I just topped it with some:
- Fried sage leaves, although fresh cilantro or coriander are excellent substitutes
- Pumpkin seeds
- Grated parmesan
The best part about air fryer pumpkin? It’s an easy side dish and vegan to boot! There are tons of ways to use it for meal prep:
- With quiche
- Wraps and sandwiches
- Mix it in a cold or warm salad
- Toss it with pasta, risotto, or pilaf
- Combine with pumpkin mac and cheese
- Pair the air fryer side dish with dips:
- Creamy feta
- Classic hummus
- Gochujang mayo
- Or vegan mayo for a vegan pumpkin recipe
- Avocado cucumber almond dip
MORE THANKSGIVING SIDE DISH RECIPES
ANOTHER HEALTHY AIR FRYER RECIPE?
Half the joy of cooking is sharing it with others. That’s why I’m always eager to hear from you. So go right ahead and drop a comment or reach out on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook. I hope you love this air fryer pumpkin as much as we do!
Easy Air Fryer Pumpkin
- 2.2 pounds /1 kg Pumpkin
- 2-3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 1/4 tsp Sea salt
- 1.5 tsp Roasted cumin powder
- 1.5 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- Fried sage leaves, Cilantro, Pumpkin seeds, Grated parmesan cheese
- Wash the pumpkin well.
- Cut the bottom and top of the pumpkin to make it stable. Cut it in half. Spoon out the seeds. Slice it thinly.I used a pumpkin with thin skin, so didn't need to peel the skin. If you're using any other kind of pumpkin, please peel it.
- In a large bowl, toss the pumpkin slices with olive oil, salt, roasted cumin powder, coriander powder, paprika, black pepper, and turmeric.
- Arrange the pumpkin slices in your air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Cook at 190 C for 10 minutes. Flip the slices over once at the 5-minute mark for even browning and cooking.
- Carefully remove from the basket and repeat with the remaining pumpkin slices.
- Arrange the roasted pumpkin on a serving platter. Garnish with fried sage leaves, fresh cilantro/coriander, pumpkin seeds, and grated parmesan cheese.
- Serve warm and enjoy!