These Plum & Cardamom Streusel Muffins are a delightful bake. With loads of flavour, a soft interior and a delicious crumbly top, they make for a great breakfast companion or healthy snack!
Muffins have all the joy of a sweet, satisfactory tea cake without any heaviness. Plus, making them is a totally hassle-free experience. There isn’t any special technique or equipment involved – all you need is a bowl and some pantry ingredients!
With the plum season almost at an end, I had an intense urge to bake with them. More so because I received a stash of stunning green cardamom and vanilla beans from Kochi, courtesy of a dear friend. Hence, these Plum & Cardamom Streusel Muffins were born!
I worked with the basic muffin recipe I use, threw diced plums in the cardamom – vanilla flavoured batter, sprinkled some streusel, topped with some sliced plums…by the time I cleared the kitchen, these fellas were out of the oven! That quick. And my kitchen was filled with distinct fragrance from cardamom and vanilla.
Soft tender cake-like crumb, perfumed with cardamom, juicy tart plum bits and a crunchy crust, these bright and fresh muffins made me stop in my tracks and savour each bite.
While they are best eaten the day they are made, because of all that fruit in the batter, they stayed (refrigerated) perfectly moist the next day as well. Made healthy with whole-grain flours and low sugar, I happily tucked in one for breakfast as well! This recipe is definitely a keeper.
I hope you try these wonderful muffins out and love them as much as we do!
For more delicious muffin recipes, you can check out:
- Chocolate Pumpkin Swirl Muffins
- Nutella Banana Muffins
- Chocolate Muffins
- Vegan Blueberry Lemon Muffins
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
Plum & Cardamom Streusel Muffins
- 130 gms Wholewheat flour
- 75 gms All purpose flour
- 55 gms Oats flour simply grind your oats in your coffee grinder
- 90 gms sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 pods Cardamom, seeds only
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 50 ml Yogurt
- 80 ml oil
- 1/2 Vanille Bean scraped
- 60 gms whole wheat flour
- 45 gms sugar
- 2 pods Cardamom seeds only
- 40 ml Coconut Oil or melted butter
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Line a 12 – cup muffin tray with paper liners.
- Make the streusel : Combine the flour, sugar, crushed cardamom seeds with coconut oil or melted butter with a fork in a small bowl. You should get a grainy mixture like wet sand. Set aside.
- If making your own buttermilk, mix 1/2 cup milk with 1 tsp vinegar and let it sit for 5/6 minutes, till the milk curdles.
- In a large bowl, combine all the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and crushed cardamom seeds.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, yogurt, vanilla and oil.
- Pour the wet mixture onto the dry mixture and stir gently to combine. Fold in the diced plums.
- Fill the batter evenly in the muffin cups using 2 spoons or an ice cream scoop. Sprinkle with the streusel . Place one or two pieces of sliced plum on top and press them down gently. Bake for 20 -25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 10 minutes before removing from pan.