Whenever I’m looking for a really quick bake, muffins always come through for me. Like these Quinoa Orange Muffins! Easy, simple, moist, healthy with a good dose of chocolate thrown in. You really can’t say no to that, Can you?
Exam time is in full swing in our house and the little man needs to be fed every half hour. And yours truly is happy to oblige, though his idea of snacking is quite different from mine! But these Quinoa Orange Muffins passed with flying colors.
Lightly sweetened with raw sugar, infused with loads of fresh orange zest, crammed with dark chocolate and chewy bits of candied oranges. These were a treat indeed. And so healthy too!
I have been meaning to experiment with making eggless bakes with flax egg… it’s all over the internet! You would simply replace one egg with a mixture of 1 tablespoon flax seed powder and 3 tablespoons of water. It worked like a charm. The muffins turned out soft and fluffy, not dry at all. Hallelujah!
The candied oranges were a result of a DIY project I did at home. If you’d like to try making them, please hop over to my story highlights on my INSTAGRAM . They do take a bit of time, but most of that is drying time so just keep your fingers crossed and pray for two days of good strong sun! You can, of course, just buy them off the shelf. Big supermarkets do keep a variety of dried/candied fruits. Try not skipping them though as they do add big flavor to the muffins.
I hope you try these scrumptious wholesome Quinoa Orange Muffins and enjoy them as much as we did. I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @
Quinoa Orange Muffins
- 1 cup Quinoa flour
- 1 cup Wholewheat flour
- 1.5 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/8 tsp Sea salt
- 1/2 cup Raw sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/3 cup Coconut oil, melted
- 1 Flax egg 1 tbsp Flax seed powder + 3 tbsp water. Mix in a small bowl and allow to sit for 5 minutes
- 1/3 cup Orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 3/4 cup Plain almond milk
- 1/3 cup Dairy free chocolate or Dark chocolate (70%) chips
- 3 tbsp Candied oranges, chopped into small bits
- 1/4 cup Cashewnuts, chopped into small bits
- Preheat your oven to 180C. Line your muffin tray cavities with paper liners.
- Combine all the dry ingredients - quinoa flour,wholewheat flour, raw sugar, orange zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix together the melted coconut oil, flax egg, orange juice and almond milk.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ones and gently stir with a spatula, just until moistened.
- Gently stir in all the add ins - candied oranges, chocolate chips and cashewnuts.
- Spoon in the batter into the cups. Fill them 3/4 of the way and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for a few minutes before turning them out on a cooling rack. Enjoy warm and fresh!