It’s so hard to say no to warm muffins, fresh out of the oven! Especially when they are soft and moist, crammed with juicy blueberries, topped with a crunchy streusel and a dash of sweet-tart lemon glaze. Yes, that’s how delightful these Vegan Blueberry Lemon Muffins are!
Last few days we’ve all been under the weather. Lots of fluids, meds, khichdi, and clear soups is what we’ve been living on. So yesterday, as I felt better, I just had to get into the kitchen for a spot of baking!
These vegan blueberry lemon muffins were the perfect little treat for us because the baking the muffins didn’t disrupt my take-it-easy, recuperating vibe.
Light and fluffy, mild and sweet, with jammy blueberries and so lemony. Just apt with our evening cup of tea and as an after-school snack, for the little man.
How to Make Blueberry Muffins with Lemon?
The wonderous things about muffins? They are definitely the fastest treats to bake when compared with breads, buns or cakes. Your soul starts carving blueberry muffins for an evening snack and lo and behold they’re ready in about half an hour!
The ingredients are simple and readily available in my pantry. There isn’t much fuss about the technique or equipment at all.
A bowl, a measuring cup, and a whisk are all that is required to mix some whole-wheat flour, salt, baking powder, and soda. Since I went the vegan way for this recipe, I baked it without eggs.
Any egg-free recipe still makes me a bit nervous. But I was pleasantly surprised with the combination of coconut milk and apple cider vinegar I used as a substitute. It gave enough lift and lightness to the blueberry lemon muffins.
A sprinkle of crunchy streusel and a light drizzle of lemon glaze just makes these muffins extra special. Don’t miss adding them on!
Some Hacks for Baking Muffins
If you don’t have a muffin tray for baking, use little ramekins or ovenproof mugs. They’ll work perfectly well.
If you need some extra tips on making light and fluffy muffins every, single time, do take a look at my earlier post of MANGO COCONUT MUFFINS!
I used frozen blueberries for this recipe because frankly, the fresh ones we get here are exorbitantly expensive. They worked out well, but I would definitely recommend getting your hands on fresh ones for an even better flavor profile.
If blueberries are not your cup of tea, you can easily use any fresh or frozen berries of your choice here. I can assure you’ll get marvellous results!
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
Vegan Blueberry Lemon Muffins
- 2 cups Wholewheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Lemon zest
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup Coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cup Light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp Pure lemon oil optional
- 3/4 cup Blueberries
- 2 tbsp Wholewheat flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Almond flakes
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line your muffin tray cavities with paper liners.
- Sift together wholewheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir in sugar and lemon zest.
- Combine coconut milk and apple cider vinegar in a bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in oil, pure lemon oil ( optional) and lemon juice.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients. Gently stir with a spatula, just until moistened. Fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon in the batter into the cups. Fill them 3/4 of the way. Sprinkle with the streusel and bake for 22-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for a few minutes before turning them out on a cooling rack.
- Drizzle over the glaze. let it set for 5- 10 minutes. Serve warm and fresh. Enjoy!
- Make the streusel: Combine the flour, sugar, almonds with coconut oil with a fork in a small bowl. You should get a grainy mixture like wet sand. Set aside.
- Combine lemon juice and icing sugar until a thick smooth mixture is formed.