I love stews! Its one of my go-to meals especially when I'm all out of ideas and short on time (the struggle is real guys!!).
Here's one of my staple recipe from my catering days...always a success with my clients and us, of course. Bringing to you my vegan, healthy Moroccan Vegetable Stew!
Now I don't claim it to be an authentic recipe, but this is my version adapted from BBC Good Food. Don't worry about the long list of ingredients here. It's a no-fuss deal as you can work around the vegetables you have on hand and the spices are all our spice box regulars. The one thing I make sure that's available for this vegetable stew is chickpeas. I usually have a box of cooked ones in my freezer at all times. It's so helpful when you want to add protein and fibre to any of your dishes - soups, pulao, salads, curries, pasta, for making hummus in an instant. It really is worth the effort to boil some extra whenever you're making a chana dish.
This is a really substantial stew - an abundance of vegetables in a flavourful gently spiced tomato-based curry. Rich in protein, complex carbohydrates, fibre and vitamins. You can serve this as is or with rice, couscous, quinoa, millets or with just a hunk of good bread to mop up all the delicious curry! My son loves it with paranthas too 🙂
It's a wonderful, healthy, robust everyday meal. As with most curries/stews, its superb the next day. So if you have any leftovers, I guarantee a fantastic lunch!
Hope you enjoy this Moroccan Vegetable Stew as much as we do. I’d love to hear from you. Do leave a comment below and share a picture on INSTAGRAM using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods!
Moroccan Vegetable Stew
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 Onion, large Sliced thin
- 3-4 Garlic cloves Sliced thin
- 6-8 Tomatoes Pureed
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- 2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder Add less or more according to your preference
- Salt & coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Potato/ Sweet potato, large Cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin Cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms Quartered
- 1 Red pepper Cut into chunks
- 1 Yellow pepper Cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup Zuccchini Cut into chunks
- 1 cup Chickpeas, cooked
- 2 tsp Fresh breadcrumbs
- Cilantro/ parsley For garnish
- Heat oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and garlic. Cook for a couple minutes. Add all the spices - coriander, cumin, cinnamon, red chilli powder, salt and pepper. Cook for another couple minutes.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and let it all simmer together for 8-10 minutes. Add the potatoes/ sweet potatoes and pumpkin. Add about 500 ml water. Cover and cook until they are softened.
- Now add all the other vegetables - mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini and the chickpeas. You may need to add some more water if its looking too dry. Cover and cook for another 5-6 minutes. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Finish off with some lemon juice and a handful of parsley or cilantro. Serve warm!