Buckwheat Tabbouleh Salad – the perfect summer salad that’s light on the stomach yet very satisfying, healthy and wholesome!
Hot Indian summers call for fresh, light foods that are easy to digest and are also very nourishing. This Buckwheat Tabbouleh Salad ticks all the boxes. Its very simple to prepare and tastes fabulous. You can eat it on its own, or pair it with some grilled paneer or chicken and serve with pita for a bigger heartier meal.
Also known as Tabouli, this is a Middle Eastern vegetarian salad made with Bulgar wheat, fresh tomatoes, onions, cucumbers and loads of parsley and mint. The dressing is simply olive oil and lemon juice. This salad truly celebrates the fresh green herbs. There are variations of this salad with couscous too. Here, I’ve used buckwheat groats which I absolutely love.
Buckwheat is not related to wheat as does not grow on grass. It’s actually a pseudocereal with a variety of healthful properties. It’s an excellent plant source of easily digestive protein and contains all eight essential amino acids, which is wonderful for vegetarians. Buckwheat is also high in fiber and B Vitamins. Since its gluten-free, its a perfect substitute for grain for all those with gluten sensitivity.
While I use buckwheat flour extensively for baking, I enjoy the groats too. They taste so deliciously nutty and have a slightly chewy texture, somewhat like barley. This makes the dishes they are added to fairly hearty, yet not heavy at all. Do check out my Buckwheat Granola and Buckwheat Pilaf blogs for some more recipe ideas.
This really is a no-fuss recipe. Once the buckwheat groats are rinsed and drained, you cook them, very much like rice. And while the buckwheat is cooking, you get to the chopping part. To get the right texture, all the vegetables need to be chopped as finely as possible. A sharp knife is your best friend here! Add as much parsley and mint as you’d like. Gently mix in the cooled groats… A splash of olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste and your salad is ready!
I hope this healthy, wholesome Buckwheat Tabbouleh Salad makes it to your table this summer frequently! I’d love to hear from you. Please do rate and comment below! You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, and FACEBOOK for more fabulous recipes!
Buckwheat Tabbouleh Salad
- 1 cup Buckwheat groats
- 1 3/4 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 small Tomatoes, deseeded, chopped finely
- 1 medium Onion, chopped finely
- 2 Cucumber, chopped finely
- 1 cup Parsley, chopped finely
- A small handful of Mint, chopped finely
- 3-4 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 tbsp Extra virgin Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Rinse and drain buckwheat well.
- Place in a medium saucepan with 1 3/4 cup water and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring it to a boil, lower the heat, cover and let cook for about 15 minutes. Once cooked, gently fluff up the groats with a fork. Let them cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped vegetables and herbs. Mix in the cooked buckwheat.
- Now stir in the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Let the salad sit for about 30-40 minutes in the refrigerator before serving. Enjoy!