A homemade ” better than takeout” recipe comes together in no time. This Spicy Tofu Stir Fry is super simple and healthy!
One of my favorite meals has always been a simple stir fry. A bowl full of crisp, fresh veggies mixed in with delicious sauce and rice equates to instant comfort and joy. So moreish and easy! This Spicy Tofu Stir Fry was no exception. Filled with seasonal vegetables and the best-panfried tofu, this dish has a sprightliness that’s ideal for a hearty summer meal.
My family has not always been appreciative – or even tolerant, of tofu. Through many trial and error meals, I figured out the perfect way to make it, that pleases everyone! Not rubbery at all, not too dry, not too soft. By panfrying the diced tofu, you get it to a stage where it’s golden crispy. When added to the mixture with all the sauces and spices, it soaks everything up perfectly! It takes on a slightly meaty texture, that is just the right amount of soft and juicy. A great ingredient for your Meatless Monday cooking!
All that this Spicy Tofu Stir Fry requires is veggies, tofu and a mixture of some sauces. I had some bell peppers handy, so that’s what went in here along with onion, ginger, and garlic. Adding to the spiciness were some dried red chillies.
A dash of soy sauce, chilli garlic sauce, and rice wine vinegar make the sauce for this dish.
Stir in the tofu and you’ve got a hearty, nourishing, vegetarian meal! Feel free to add garnishes of your choice – I usually add peanuts to stir-fries, but this time I tried cashews which gave a wonderful crunch.
I served this Spicy Tofu Stir Fry with Jasmine rice and broccoli. But you can switch it up with noodles and veggies of your choice. It’s truly a foolproof recipe, enough to happily feed a family of four. This makes for great leftovers, so feel free to increase the quantities.
Spicy Tofy Stir Fry
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 200 gms Tofu, Cut into big chunks I used firm
- 1/2 cup Red bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 cup Green bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1 Onion, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 tsp Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Ginger, minced
- 3-4 Red Chillies, dry (adjust to your taste - this depends on your preference for heat)
- 2 tbsp Chilli Garlic Sauce (adjust to your taste)
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tsp Rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Cornstarch
- Salt to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a saute pan. Saute the tofu till lightly golden on all sides. Take it out in a plate.
- Heat another 1 tbsp oil in the same pan. Add the red chillis, minced ginger, and garlic. Cook for 30-40 seconds.
- Add the onions and bell peppers. Cook for a minute, stirring all the time.
- Mix in the soy sauce, chilli garlic sauce and rice wine vinegar in a small bowl. Add it to the veggies. Cook for another 30 seconds and add the tofu.
- Stir well allowing the sauce to coat the tofu well.
- Mix the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Add this mixture to the pan. Let the sauce come to boil. Turn off the heat. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Garnish with roasted cashews, sesame seeds, and some coriander/ cilantro or spring onion greens. Serve immediately.