Baking for a family and friends with a serious cupcake addiction keeps my creativity always inflow. I have been dodging umpteen requests for cupcakes with new exciting flavours for a very long time.
So when stuck indoors on a hail stormed evening, decided to bake some and make people warm and happy. I went all out and settled on Mocha Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting putting together individual favourites of chocolate, coffee and infused it with Baileys!
The thick, luxurious topping of whipped cream cheese frosting with dark chocolate and Baileys was divine and I swear, I can eat it straight from the mixing bowl by the spoonfuls! I love mocha as it has deep earthy flavours. Seriously, the one thing that can make chocolate even better is coffee… I call Mocha a marriage made in heaven between Coffee and Chocolate!!
The Mocha flavour of the cupcake and the silky smooth, luscious Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting blend together beautifully. The cream cheese gives a lovely light texture and balances the sweetness really well. And hello, Baileys for a hint of creamy boozy touch! I mean, can it get better than this? I don’t think so!! The frosting is very stable and it was almost therapeutic to pipe the beautiful swirls on top.
These Mocha cupcakes with Chocolate Cream cheese frosting looked quite like an art form. They were really a treat for the senses!! The cupcakes went perfectly with after-dinner coffee and were wiped out faster than you could even say the full title of this blog!
This Mocha Cupcakes recipe uses buckwheat flour. It is gluten-free, extremely nutritious and gives an interesting twist to the cupcake texture. It is well known in most northern and western states of India and is consumed on particular fasting days. Interestingly, buckwheat flour is a
staple food in Ladakh too. It’s a great favourite of mine for baking and the kids have taken to it exceptionally well.
So, go ahead and make your world a better place with these scrumptious Mocha cupcakes! I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @
Mocha Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup Boiling hot coffee Mix 1.5 tbsp coffee in boiling hot water
- 1 1/3 cup Buckwheat flour You can use all purpose flour too
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup Cream cheese, slightly softened
- 1/3 cup icing sugar
- 1/3 cup 70% dark chocolate
- 2 Tbsp Baileys, more if you like optional
- Preheat your oven to 180C. Line a muffin tray with paper liners.
- Mix the cocoa powder and boiling hot coffee in a small bowl. Leave aside to cool a bit.
- In another bowl, combine the buckwheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs and sugar till thick and creamy. Add vanilla extract and oil.
- In 2 batches, gently mix in the dry ingredients and the cocoa coffee mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Fill each cavity of the prepared muffin tray 3/4 of the way and bake for 18-20 minutes until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean with just a few moist crumbs attached.
- Cool the cupcakes while you are preparing the frosting.
- Melt the dark chocolate. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Beat the cream cheese and icing sugar till fluffy. Add Baileys, mix well.
- Slowly add the cooled melted chocolate, beat till smooth and shiny. We are looking for a thick, piping consistency. Taste and adjust for sweetness, for more chocolate flavour and more Baileys, as per your preference.
- Spoon into a piping bag attached with a star nozzle. Pipe on the cupcakes. Alternatively, you could thickly smear the frosting on the cupcakes with a knife. Enjoy!